Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • xt vs xtr front mech?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any differences in shifting other than the weight diff? xtr shifters are much smoother than xt, does the same apply for front or is it a total waste of money?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyone?

richmtb

total waste of money, whats the weight difference? 10g maybe.

No way will you notice any difference in shift quality either

jimw
    Free Member

I have (2009) XT761 on one bike operated on X9 shifters, M970 xtr on another but through 2006 xtr dual control shifter. Both seem to shift equally well, but I actually prefer the feel of the x9 shifter for the front mech, the xtr for the rear mech. I personally would save the cash

br
    Free Member

xtr weighs less and (seems to) shift(s) better – and not a lot more

tang
    Free Member

deore is your front mech friend

leedove
    Free Member

I swaped XT for XTR front mech. No difference at all.

Taz

Went from XTR to XT – no difference I could notice

djflexure

XT has quite a bit of plastic on it. XTR and X9 aesthetically better. Deore, XT, XTR and X9: all seem to shift just about the same.

jefinabox

my xtr front mech is quite a bit heavier than the xt one it replaced

foxyrider
    Free Member

SLC or XT for me – weight vs VFM 🙂 like rear mech but XTR shifters are a step up from XT 🙂

br
    Free Member

my xtr front mech is quite a bit heavier than the xt one it replaced

Eh?

My XTR front mech is 142 g, the previous XT was 170g.

Terry
    Free Member

My front mech is a n-stop chaindevice 8)

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve never used any XTR stuff, but I’d have to say I can’t think of many other parts on my bike where an upgrade would make as little difference as the front mech.

OTOH if you need a new one anyway and it’s a comparable price why not?

stuey
    Free Member

Some of the my old XTR F-mechs had an articulated joint between the plates – they shifted better than ‘fixed plate’ XT’s.

13thfloormonk

Controversially, upgrading to a ‘high clamp’ XTR front mech was one of the best upgrades I ever made, a million miles better than the Deore it replaced, and despite actual damage due to some bizarre middle/big ring chainsuck, it lasted a lot longer than my low clamp deores which got rattly in no time.

Those articulated plate ones were trick, I had one but it was designed for the ‘racer’s’ 26/36/46 chainset and could never get into my weeny little 22 granny ring 🙁

cookeaa

I can’t think of many other parts on my bike where an upgrade would make as little difference as the front mech.

pretty much sums it all up really…

OP are you sure you didn’t just want to make us all more aware of the level of disposable income you have and the dizzyingly mundane purchacing decissions you have to face as a result….

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

well after having come from a £50 xtr front mech to a £30 or so xt, the xt actually shifts crisper and quicker.
    I also know that the older xtr shifted a lot quicker than the new stuff.

Best part of xtr is the shifters and shadow rear mech imo.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It looks prettier

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘xt vs xtr front mech?’ is closed to new replies.