Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • XT vs SLX shifters
  • Dickyboy

SLX shifters smooth & buttery – XT shifters stiff & notchy, replaced SLX with XT on virtually new bike, so all else is equal (kept same cables etc), Anyone else had same experience or have I got a duff set of XT shifters on my hands?

ddmonkey

Not sure if it helps but I’m massively impressed with the SLX gear on my latest bike, and the SLX shifters do feel very smooth its true. My XT is more clonky I think but very positive shifting.

rocketman
    Free Member

XT are smooth and buttery like SLX but a bit more clicky in a non-SRAM kindof way

Cables?

Dickyboy

Cables?

Only replaced shifters, as bike was only recently built up, so all else was equal. Guess I’ll just have to put in some ride time & see how I feel – at present I am feeling a lot of love for SLX 🙄

rocketman
    Free Member

The action is very light but quite sensitive to cable condition, especially with interrupted outers. Might be worth shifting into bottom gear and then back up to top without turning the pedals, unhooking the outers and checking that the cable moves freely.

Dickyboy

Rocketman – thanks will keep trying as bike does look great with full XT groupset, just disapointed that shifting doesn’t appear so nice now 🙄

barrykellett
    Free Member

What version of XT shifter?
    Just set up a pair of M780 shifters on the race bike and the shifting is very nice, though i thought the old 9 speed stuff I was using was nice too.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

So, if I where to buy new shifters you’d advise the SLX over XT?

Dickyboy

So, if I where to buy new shifters you’d advise the SLX over XT?

I certainly wouldn’t advocate spending the extra money for XT…

It’s m770 9 speed shifters v 9 speed SLX that I’m on about

ddmonkey

I don’t see the point in spending the extra on new XT vs new SLX (10spd).

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have had XT shifters/fornt mech etc on a bike which i thought were great, but to be honest my new bike which is all SLX gear is as good as the XT and if i were in the market for new shifters etc i really couldn’t warrant spending extra to get XT for no obvious benefit. SLX stuff has really surprised me (3×10).

rondo101
    Free Member

Whereas I’d say that XT shifters > SLX shifters (M770 vs M665; haven’t experienced the latest offerings).

chives
    Free Member

I went for M770 XT as an upgrade for the Deore stock items on my hardtail, primarily so I could ‘lose’ the gear indicators and move my brakes inboard.

Never used SLX, but in terms of shifting performance / feel, there wasn’t any significant improvement going from the basic Deore to XT.

Best gain for me was switching the cables to XTR inner with contionuous SP41 outers – very slick, and so far not needed any maintenance.

druff
    Free Member

I hope you won’t mind a slight thread hijack but I’ve a related question. I’m currently running 2 x 9 kit and am considering going down to 1 x 10.

Having just killed the rear dérailleur, I’m wondering if anybody can tell me whether I could take. Step halfway by putting a 1 x 10 derailleur on and continuing to use the 9 speed cassette and shifter I already have (this is all Shimno kit, if that matters).

Thanks.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It’s m770 9 speed shifters v 9 speed SLX that I’m on about

Thas fine- I’m still oldskool running 2 x 9…

rondo101
    Free Member

but in terms of shifting performance / feel, there wasn’t any significant improvement going from the basic Deore to XT.

Not the way an XT shifter firmly clicks into place, with no issues with over- or under-pushing the lever? That’s what I hated about the deores. It was mildly better with SLX, but just not an issue with XT.

ac282

duff,

I’m pretty sure shimano 10spd mtb rear mechs aren’t compatible with their 9spd shifters.

I think you have to get shifters, mech and cassette in one go.

tops5
    Free Member

I hope you won’t mind a slight thread hijack but I’ve a related question. I’m currently running 2 x 9 kit and am considering going down to 1 x 10.

Having just killed the rear dérailleur, I’m wondering if anybody can tell me whether I could take. Step halfway by putting a 1 x 10 derailleur on and continuing to use the 9 speed cassette and shifter I already have (this is all Shimno kit, if that matters).

In a similar vein – will 10 speed chianrings work with a 9 speed chain/cassette?

dickie
    Free Member

I remember a mag review commenting that SLX was very similar to the old silver M760 XT shifters, very smooth, & regarded as the best shifters shimano ever made.
    The newer M770 XT were very notchy in comparison.

With regard to 9 or 10 speed – 10 speed has been fitted into the same space as 9 & therfore requires the cable to be very well tuned, where as 9 speed allows a little margin for error or 10.

Dickyboy

I remember a mag review commenting that SLX was very similar to the old silver M750 XT shifters, very smooth, & regarded as the best shifters shimano ever made.
    The newer M770 XT were very notchy in comparison.

This seems to be my experience – guess it’s about what you want from a shifter – my preference is with the silky SLX

druff
    Free Member

ac282 Thanks, you’re right – just off the phone to my LBS before I remembered I’d posted on here.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘XT vs SLX shifters’ is closed to new replies.