Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • XT vs other chainrings
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

Well after nearly 2years it seems I have to replace my 2 outer chainrings

The XT groupset seems to have worked great…now I have to pay XT prices to replace stuff I'm not so happy (£36 + £48 at CRC 🙁 )

Any reccomendations for cheaper chainrings that work as well? Or is the XT worth the money?

foxyrider
    Free Member
    wwaswas

I switched to Middleburn when my XT rings wore out.

dickydutch

velosolo.co.uk for anodised ones?!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Do those SS ones have ramps and pins like the XT ones DD?

glenp
    Free Member

That's just insane money – you can buy an entire crankset for that. I'm not manly enough to wear out outer rings on a regular basis, but certainly middle and granny rings are Deore steel – cheap, tough and last loads longer. No-one can see them and you will never miss the weight saving – no-brainer.

theyEye
    Free Member

I have to replace the chainrings on my XT chainset as well. After looking around at all the prices, ended up ordering an SLX chainset excluding BB for 60 quid a couple days ago: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bmx-bike/Chainsets-Shimano-SLX-M660-9-Spd-Triple-Chainset-ex-BB/SHIMCHAM300

glenncampbell

+1 for middleburn – I really like the hardcoat ones and they last ages longer than Shimano.

As theyEye says – you can get a new crankset for £60 and that is worth thinking about!

Macavity
    Free Member

Highpath

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Nice one theEye….
    Middleburn seem to get good reviews, still around £60 for the 2 though

Function wise, is there anything about XT that will make them shift better than the others?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I would def get rings with ramps and pins – I tried middle burn hardcoats without slickshifts and they were crap – trouble is middleburns with slickshift are more money – Don't get an alloy granny IME 🙂

My XTR rings were noticable better at shifting than my old XT ones but overall I have not noticed andy difference between the TA ones I got cheap on merlin and my XTR ones if thats any help 🙂

nickc

Well after nearly 2years it seems I have to replace my 2 outer chainrings

Really, you think that's expensive? Middleburn are shit at shifting, TA are nice enough but even I've broken them, and I'm not hard on parts.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Over 2 years, maybe it's OK…..up until I saw a full SLX chainset for £60 😉

That sounds like the best idea so far Mr Eye….could replace the alivio on my hardtail too! The SLX rings look almost identical to XT from what I can ascertain. SLX =£25 each at CRC

stuartie_c
    Free Member

CRC are doing a set of 3 Middleburn Slick-Shift chainrings for £58

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=575

Or £63 for the Hardcoat+Slick-Shift option.

Just fitted a set and the shifting seems flawless so far. They replaced some £50 no-name CNC rings from Merlin which hard a hard life but I got a year out of them before they bean to look like this:

ooOOoo
    Free Member

hey nice one stuart, but I just went for the SLX deal above. £55 delivered with the extra voucher 😀

Incidentally, glad I haven't got XTR. RRP is
    Inner: £30
    Middle: £110
    Outer: £150

Ouch on toast 😳

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Just gone for XT (whole chainset) after a year and a half of SLX – the reason being is that XT now has a steel middle ring as well so should last better. And is shinier 😉

Talkemada
    Free Member

£270 for a new set of chainrings??? 😯

How much is the whole chainset?

What a rip-off…

RealMan
    Free Member

Middleburn if you like chain suck.

Talkemada
    Free Member

I use Middleburn rings and I've never suffered from chainsuck. 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘XT vs other chainrings’ is closed to new replies.