Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XT SLX Difference ?
  • oldfart

Currently running XT cranks .New rings (not that i'll need outer )and bottom bracket will cost £141 which is more than a new set of cranks !!!!!Even without outer it's still nearly £90 with B/B.But i've just noticed that CRC are doing SLX triples for £90 .Question are the M660 rings nowhere near as good as the M770s ?Think the bottom bracket is the same XT as Slx . Not needed at the moment but at that price probably worth getting the SLX crankset for when it is needed ?Only thing is need to find out if the CRC price includes B/B as i can't see it mentioned .

sv

The SLX triple middle ring has carbon inserts making it last longer.

clubber
    Free Member

Er… The SLX chainring has a carbon body with steel teeth – just like XT.

XT – a bit more expensive, a bit lighter
    SLX – a bit cheaper, a bit heavier

🙂

The SLX chainset is a bargin. For the difference in weight, you could probably save more with the difference in price spent elsewhere.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Difference is about 40g.I`d get SLX.
    Plus sell your old cranks,that could be used by someone who might use them with a new ring for a ss project.
    It nuts,that since the price rises Shimano rings work out more expensive than Middleburn ones or a new chainset.Outers are ridiculous money,though I bought mine,through the classifieds from someone who had fitted a bash ring.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity ,looked on Merlin.New XT chainset £119.Set of 3 M770 replacement rings= £110.
    BB £37.95.

Can`t imagine Shimano selling many replacement rings!If you needed rings you could buy the chainset keep the rings,sell the bb for £30 and the crank arms for £40 or so and have 3 new rings for £50…….

bigyinn
    Free Member

How will carbon inserts make a ring last longer? The carbon inserts are there to save weight over the steel and increase stiffness.
    Given the cost difference i'd go for the SLX, or why not get non shimano rings? Race face ones are pretty good, last longer and usually cheaper too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just buy Deore rings.
    Or hoover up everyone elses unused Shimano rings off the classifides like I do. Usually a full set is £20 because nobody wants them, but for £20 a set you won't get any better. Shimano rings shift the best too, I've got a drawer full of them….
    😀

rob1984p
    Free Member

I have SLX on my Maxlight because the cost difference didn't seem to justify the benefit, if the XT cranks aren't completely trashed they'll probably see £40 bare on ebay.

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Get a set of midleburn rings for £60 off chain reaction? You don't have to pay the rip off shimano prices for the XT rings you know.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XT SLX Difference ?’ is closed to new replies.