Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2012 XT Shifter Pods – Removing gear change window?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve got a new bike and its got 2012 XT shifters. I want to remove the gear change windows, which I did last night, but I can not see any plastic covers to put back over the space thats left (like there was on 2011 XT’s)

Am I missing some thing, or can you not do it on 2012 stuff?

Thanks

coatesy
    Free Member

You’ll need to buy new covers, no longer a freebie tucked away at the back.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ah great, I did already try googling it but nothing came up, what do I need to google?

twohats
    Free Member

Nowt that a small square of electrical tape won’t cover up, as I’ve just done with mine.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Electrical tape wont stay in place though.

Ironically its all sealed apart from 1 very small rectangular section, but if mud gets in to it, thats one screwed leaver IMO.

Silicone sealent might be an option I guess…

Yes it will. Just apply it to the top and not all the way around the unit as that prevents the movement. It works if applied correctly

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Had another look last night and its not just one part of the shifter that needs covering. Theres a flat section that would be easy to cover, but there is a second hole at the forward edge of the shifter that is not flat at all.

Might email madison and ask where the hell you get the covers.

xanboy
    Free Member

If it is the new SLM780 10 speed shifters, the covers aren’t shown as a spare part on Shimano’s website and the old ones won’t fit as the mounting bracket is in the way.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

duct tape lasts longer than insulation tape

Though mine have been exposed to the elements for a few years now

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

To be fair not sure which part shifters they are as they have just come on my new 2012 Anthem X1 2 x 10.

coatesy
    Free Member

Good and bad news,for SL-M780 shifters, LH part no. 6UV 9804 in stock, RH part no. 6UU 9806 out of stock until the 25th, and they cost £14.99 each.Any shop should be able to order you a set, but if you’re stuck give me a call at Sunset and i’ll put some in the basket. 02920371321.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Coatesy – They are the covers with shift indicators, I want the ones without.

As Neninja says above its actually parts 6UU 9809 and 6UV 9808

£3.99 each just for a bit of plastic 😕 will get the LBS to order for me.

In the mean time I might just bodge with helicopter tape.

coatesy
    Free Member

Oops, my fault for rushing before going to work, sorry 😳

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In the mean time I might just bodge with helicopter tape.

Bodge!! thats not a bodge it’s the sort of engineering brilliance this country once thrived on!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2012 XT Shifter Pods – Removing gear change window?’ is closed to new replies.