• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • XT shifter icing! Minus 4 degrees riding rocks!
  • bigad40
    Free Member

Not a common problem but a ride last week in sub zero conditions saw my otherwise faultless xt shifter freezing on long descents.
    Its my own fault because I washed the bike the night before with a leberal rinse just before the mercury dropped below freezing. Before bringing it in for the night all the levers were stiff with frost.
    My real concern on the morning was if my gloves would cope, but the Specialized Equinox were a little chilly at first but after the 1st climb were perfect, still with plenty of positive feel unlike the thicker Radiants, also from Spech, which feel like I’m hanging onto an insulated plastic pipe. But they also go from warm hands to sweating like a mad man instantly.
    Defeet Woolie Boolie’s and some ancient Oakley flat shoes kept my feet from freezing.
    An ancient Kona jacket over a mid weight fleece with Merino base left nothing to desire. Beanie under the lid and one the hat/scarf things to keep my neck warm.
    Endura MT500 kept the little mud from soaking my jewellery. And Gore leg warmers kept the blood in my legs fluid.
    All in all a great way to spend a morning. The freakiest sensation was riding into a patch off mud th usually slows me down only to accelerate over the frozen mass.
    I love riding in the UK because no 2 days are ever the same. Especially on the natural stuff.
    But what a brilliant ride.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘XT shifter icing! Minus 4 degrees riding rocks!’ is closed to new replies.