Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • XT Shadow + as a chain retention device ?
  • weeksy

Alright guys,

with the new spearfish build i’m doing this week i will be running at 1×10. However i’m not keen on the superstar XCR tube mounted guide, so was debating the alternatives.

The XT Shadow + was mentioned….

Anyone used them as the sole retention device ?

Cheers.

Northwind

Tried it on my Camber. Did not work- better than with a standard mech but still close to useless. But top guide + mech is working well so far, it’ll still fall off at times but so far never while riding (ie, does it lifting over gates, or crashing, stuff like that)

svalgis
    Free Member

I used a Zee RD on my HT with 1×10 setup, with a SS chainring and bashguard. I still dropped the chain a few times on quite technical descents. I don’t know how effective the XT Shadow+ is in comparison but I reckon you might get away with it, though I would recommend a top guide as well.

weeksy

Thanks guys…. seems it’s a little pointless then really. I’ve got a standard XT and a bash-ring if i want…. so will probably get one of 3 options

1. BB mount Superstar XCE
    2. DMR Viral
    3. E-13 (depends what comes up)

svalgis
    Free Member

Not pointless, the clutch does a very good job of eliminating chain noise and makes shifting in the sketchy stuff safer/easier. Maybe you’d get a similar result with a guide with a bottom pulley or some other kind of tensioner, but that would mean more drag.

If you’ve already got a decent mech then fair enough, use it, but if I was to buy a new one for a 1×10 setup then I wouldn’t consider anything without a short cage and clutch.

Northwind

Yep, tbh even if I was running a double guide I’d still want the shadow+, it’s not just about not dropping the chain.

weeksy

DO you rekon a BB mounted E-13 will work with a PF BB30 and converter ?

i’ve bought this from CRC for converting to standard BB (as i have spares at home)

Northwind

Looks like that raised lip on the edge might cause problems? Do you know if you still fit BB spacers?

weeksy

Ain’t got a clue yet mate. Frame doesn’t arrive till tomorrow, the BB kit may be at home now, but i’m in the office… so pure speculation at the moment. 🙂

the lip may just throw the chainline out by 1mm or so ?

weeksy

Well this could be interesting LOL

The PF/BB30 converters have arrived… they come with 1 big spacer (internal hole size) 1 VERY strange shaped brass snakey shaped spacer and a load of small 0.2mm tpye spacers… all the same size of the internal hole that the Shimano HTII will fit through. I guess it may be a little trial and error 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘XT Shadow + as a chain retention device ?’ is closed to new replies.