Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XT rear mechs
  • filks

Can anyone tell me what the difference – especially re function – is between an XT M771 and the M772 shadow rear mech?

I need to replace my M771 and the M771 and M772 are the same price. Are they interchangable and if so, what’s the point of two different mechs for the same groupset? They’re both 9 speed

Anyone?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Ones a shadow and one isnt.

I snapped a shadow after 3 months on the main body and just replaced it with a M771.

seems like a solution to a problem that doesnt exist

filks

So what does ‘shadow’ do over the other mech?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Shadow mechs are much lower profile and have a far superior cable routing (you don’t get that stupid loop of cable before it goes into the mech).

Contrary to the above, mine have all worked fine over the last 5 years or so and I wouldn’t go back to a normal one.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s a little closer in profile to the mech hanger than a non-shadow.

I cannot produce any statistics as to how much less chance there is of nerfing rocks with a Shadow than a non-Shadow mech though.

druidh
    Free Member

30%

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

……..and getting your wheel out with a shadow is more of a pain. They’re like having 2 gear hangers.

sorry chaps but think they’re pap 🙁

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Shadow are a bit flimsier but much neater and lower profile than non- shadow. Personally I’d always go for SLX over XT, too because they are capable of withstanding small impacts, whereas XT ones aren’t IME. Also the ceramic bushings XTs come with are flipping stupid.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got XT Shadow mechs on both my geared bikes and my mates have a range from SLX to XTR – all shadow – and no one has had any problems with theirs, even the least careful of us

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XT rear mechs’ is closed to new replies.