• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cp.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XT rear brake caliper connection?
  • chestrockwell

Hi all. I am trying to fit my m785 brakes to my new bike. I had to cut the hose when I removed it before and did so towards the rear caliper. I have done the same with Deore brakes in the past and it was a simple case of changing the barb/olive then screwing it back together again. Now, the XT one has a different connecter and I can’t see for the life of me how to remove the old hose from it as there seems to be no way of getting in to the fitting?

Any one got any idea? I am starting to think it’s going to be the usual bike industry trick of making me buy yet another part! Fwiw I bought the XT new and have the spare parts that came with them so thought I’d be good to go. Next you will tell me I needed to cut the hose by the lever aren’t you?!

Please help before the brakes go in the recycling bin.

chris2407
    Free Member

I’m afraid you are right – you are supposed to cut the hose at the lever end! You will need to fit a new banjo at the caliper side now.

chestrockwell

Gah.

ehrob

Sadly I think you were meant to cut at the lever end.

There’s a banjo on the hose at the calliper end, which I think comes pre-installed with the new hydraulic hose. I’m not sure that its meant to be removed.

Edit: Doh, beaten to it.

simondbarnes

You will need to fit a new banjo at the caliper side hose now.

You can’t replace the banjos

hainman
    Free Member

what length of hose is it,i have a borked Xt i think that i used the Calliper off but its still in one piece and you might even not need the olive at the front/lever end

chestrockwell

I’m sure I have seen an aftermarket banjo. Will that not work? Typical isn’t it, make Deore easily serviceable and easy to change from either end but don’t do the same for XT for no real advantage! 😐
    Hope next for me.

what length of hose is it,i have a borked Xt i think that i used the Calliper off but its still in one piece and you might even not need the olive at the front/lever end

Cheers mate, I will check but will probably take the hose either way. What you after for it?

hainman
    Free Member

Heehaw mate if it helps out then cushty

cp

make Deore easily serviceable and easy to change from either end but don’t do the same for XT for no real advantage!
    Hope next for me.

The banjo makes hose alignment/install much neater. It’s lighter/arguably more secure to swage it on at the factory.

You’ll not do it again 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XT rear brake caliper connection?’ is closed to new replies.