• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by daern.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Xt or Xtr 11 speed shifter?
  • jimmy748

I currently have a Xt direct mount and want to swap to a normal band mount, is the Xtr much nicer and does it double up shift in both directions or just 1 way like the Xt?

Thanks

damascus
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s a lot in it apart from the price

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

My XT double shifts up and down. Feels nice enough but I’d say it’s a little clunkier than previous 10 spd ones I’ve used.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I got the xtr (it’s 2 way) and is so nice. But I can only compare to 10 speed slx

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have both and the XTR feels a little better.

a11y

What shortbread_fanylion says – XT M8000 (11sp) should double shift up and down too.

I’ve got both. Less in it between them that with 10sp equivalents IME. I went XTR with most recent build cos I’m worth it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The carbon thumb lever can be a little more vulnerable on the XTR. I’ve got two sets and they don’t feel as smooth as my old 9 speed xtr.

It will double shift to a smaller sprocket, but only if you push the release lever forward. I only get single release pulling back (but that could be due to my thick grips).

jimmy748

Cheers, I’m sick of my M8000 brakes bite point wandering and am going through swap to Hope E4/X2 combo, as I’m not a fan of the I spec system shifter will be going to.

schmiken

XTR is nicer.

jamj1974

XTR* is average – deeply average for the money. Not the step up like it used to be… Get XT and get the performance at a price it’s worth paying.

*Yes, I have it and yes, I am unimpressed.

sillyoldman

Disagree – had pretty much every incarnation of XTR (except M900 sadly…) current stuff is my favourite – particularly the smooth but super positive shifting – earlier ones have been smooth but sometimes too subtle in terms of the shift/indexing points.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I have an XTR 11 speed shifter for sale. £50 posted. You should go XTR

jimmy748

Retrodirect is it normal band mount? Email in profile.

LeeW

I have both and think the XTR is nicer, little annoyed with having to buy the cover you need when removing the shifter window/indicator on the XT, it used to be included in the shifter.

Rickos
    Free Member

I thought the normal answer to this was Saint? Same as XTR but cheaper.

sillyoldman

Saint is 10 spd.

daver27
    Free Member

XT and XTR both shift 2 gears on the upshift (small paddle) if you push with your thumb, if you pull with your index finger they both shift one gear.

I’ve had XTR and XT. XT is more positive in action, much more positive, which I prefer. XTR is lighter action and a bit more vague.

Carbon lever on XTR is nice, but makes no difference when wearing gloves apart from being a little slippery compared to XT.

Both work equally as well as each other, but I think XT is better, depends what sort of shift feel you like? XT also has had more time to evolve from XTR and iron out flaws.

I currently run XT and sold all my XTR rather than swap it to my current bike.

daern
    Free Member

Have XTR currently and it is, without question, the smoothest, most positive shifting experience I’ve ever had. That said…

…I’ve found that recent XTR has the wear properties of soft window putty and the longevity is very poor indeed. For all that, though, Madison offer a 3 year warranty on all XTR gear, so I still buy it because if it falls apart, they’ll usually replace it. Recently, I’ve returned XTR pedals and XTR race brakes which both failed to last the distance and both were replace / refunded without question. If the price differential isn’t insane (e.g. for pedals) the warranty is often worth the money.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Xt or Xtr 11 speed shifter?’ is closed to new replies.