Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • XT mech v SRAM for running large cassette on a road bike
  • velosam
    Free Member

My current road bike has a road 53/39 chainset in the front and a 12-28 on the back.

I am struggling with hills and as its an old campag chainset with a bcd of 135 I can’t run a smaller chainring on the front.

From what I can tell, the cheapest (if not the most elegant solution) is to run a mtb mech and a cassette with 34-36 teeth.

Its running campag 10 speed ergo, so I think I can do 9 speed xt or 10 speed SRAM.

I already have a 9 speed xt mech, is this my best solution or should I get the SRAM and if so why?

thanks

simondbarnes

With 10spd Ergos and a shimano mech you’d need to run an 8spd (shimano) cassette so would need a new rear wheel if your current one is campag.

No idea about mixing campag with Sram.

velosam
    Free Member

Rear wheel is shimano already, so its just getting bigger gearing really

simondbarnes

A #3 one of these… http://jtekengineering.com/resources/shiftmate-compatibility/ will let you run an xt 9spd mech and 10spd with your shifters or a #5 will let you run a Sram mech and 10spd.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

How are you managing to run a campag shifter (and presumably mech) with a shimano rear wheel? Assuming it’s not 11 speed?

I have used Campag shifters with a SRAM rear mech on a Shimano wheel and the shifting was ok, but not great.

Your best/easiest/potentially cheapest solution is just to get a compact chainset (providing you don’t mind using a Shimano one).

velosam
    Free Member

I was hoping to do the shimergo thing.

There was a thread on the web on the web somewhere.

The only reason not to change to a compact is that I quite like a 36/39 chainring.

simondbarnes

Pick a mech, put it on and see what happens. You’re clearly not that fussy when it comes to shifting as campag 10spd shifters / rear mech and a shimano 10spd wheel/cassette really don’t work that well together but you’re clearly happy with it 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘XT mech v SRAM for running large cassette on a road bike’ is closed to new replies.