Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • xt m8000 questions, which chain, chainring
  • nosedive
    Free Member

its payday tomorrow and I’m finally going to upgrade my ageing and flappy 2×9 speed saint drive stuff.

pretty much set on xt m8000 as I understand it will fit on a normal shimano freehub.

will any 11 speed chain work? I was thinking of a KMC X11-93 maybe (I dont want to go back to shimano split pins so I want something with the equivalent of the SRAM powerlink).

and what chainring? Is the renthal one really worth £50? can I make myself a bit happier and spend £30 on the e13?

Cheers!

nosedive
    Free Member

bump for the evening

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

I have a SRAM X1 chain, AB oval narrow wide ring on a SLX crankset & the rest m8000, all playing nicely

nosedive
    Free Member

i didnt know the sram chains were happy on the the new shimano 11, thanks catfish. I might look at those, I’ve been using SRAM 971 for year on shimano so I guess it makes sense

scotroutes

Shimano chain with a quicklink of your choice?

nosedive
    Free Member

I guess so, freaks me out that connectors by themselves can be £8 or £9 though, I’m used to getting them with the chain and carrying the old ones around to repair breaks

mboy
    Free Member

Rule with chains as always… Buy cheap, replace often. SRAM PC1130’s are under £20 RRP now, even cheaper online bought in bulk! Any 11spd chain will work fine in a 1×11 setup, Shimano/SRAM/KMC (hell, even Campag!) would all be ok.

Chainring wise, if you’re sticking with your current 104BCD chain set, just pick one you like. Personally I think the squarer tooth profiles work better at keeping the chain on (see SRAM or Praxis for examples), but use whatever you like. But just make sure it’s a narrow/wide…

nosedive
    Free Member

Thanks mboy. Yes, just sticking to the shimano crank that came on my spesh enduro. Think i might splash out on a renthal chainring. Looks chunky

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘xt m8000 questions, which chain, chainring’ is closed to new replies.