Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • xt m8000 crankset compatibility
  • bigdawg
    Free Member

Ive quite happily been running XTR950 for the past 20 or so years racing but this week Ive managed to demolish my chain rings (they are no longer flat, more pringle shapped) – as the cost and non availability means ill be out of action for a while if I waited Im looking at a stopgap and was looking atthe XT M8000 Chainset but note it says 11 Speed chain only, which ibvoulsy isnt going to go down to well with my cassette.

Am I gonig to be able to run an 8 speed chain on this or will I have the worlds worst shifting going on..?!

andyl
    Free Member

I am guessing you are after a triple? I don’t think the M8000 comes in triple, single or double only and if you have an old 3 ring front mech it won’t really be right for the 2 ring setup.

I would either look for an older XT M770 9 speed triple set up as this will give you the 44-32-22 rings or the 10 speed triple will be 42-32-24. Another option is the XTR M980 on sale at planet x which again is 10 speed ratios but closer than the typical 11 speed ones.

I am assuming that the chainring spacing on 8 speed is the same as the others. I have intermixed 9 and 10 speed with no problem as they are the same spacing and the chain works fine (use the chain specific to the cassette) but not 8 speed as that is before my time.

gonzy
    Free Member

7, 8, 9 and 10 speed shimano chains all have the same external width AFAIK
    its the internal width that differs
    for that reaosn you cant use a 10sp chain on a say 8 ring as the teeth will be too wide for the gap between the plates.
    you can however run 8sp chain on a narrower 9 or 10sp ring
    it doesnt work for cassettes though due to the close proximity of the cassette rings…but for cranks its not an issue
    i’ve run 8sp transmissions with 9sp and then later a 10sp front ring with any problems
    i’m presume the xt cranks will be 104bcd so an older style chainring should fit but i think you should ba able to run your 8sp transmission and chain using the 11sp front ring

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steve_b77
    Free Member

I am guessing you are after a triple? I don’t think the M8000 comes in triple, single or double only and if you have an old 3 ring front mech it won’t really be right for the 2 ring setup

XT M8000 does indeed come in a triple

mmannerr

7, 8, 9 and 10 speed shimano chains all have the same external width AFAIK
    its the internal width that differs

Surely some mix-up here? It is the internal width which is the same (wiki) or close enough.
    I run old worn mtb chains on my commuter and they work just fine in any length.

8000 series cranks look nice but they have weird bolt pattern but AB and others seem to have replacement rings already available.

andyl
    Free Member

XT M8000 does indeed come in a triple

so it does, I only checked CRC.

It does however have 40-30-22 rings so will be a bit funky with a front mech designed for 44-32-22 if that is what the old set up was. Should work but you will find getting the height perfect for the larger rings quite tricky IMO. You should be able to stick a new FD on though if the pull ratios are the same. Seems a lot of faffing and cost though compared to some 9 cheaper speed cranks with the same size rings.

and yes, its the external width that is smaller through thinner plates and narrower rivets that don’t stick out. A narrower chain wont be moved correctly by a mech designed for a thicker chain.

bigdawg
    Free Member

I was looking for the double, on the current 952 chainset I ditched the granny ring and just run the two larger rings and then limited the travel of the front mech – worked for the last ten or so years..

I didnt realise all the widths were the same, good to know.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘xt m8000 crankset compatibility’ is closed to new replies.