Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • XT M8000 cranks – use as 1x AND 2x?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

i’m looking at an XT M8000 drivetrain bundle. if i buy the 2x setup with 2x rings and shifters and mechs, could i also buy a 30t 1x ring and swap it for the 2x rings? and remove the front shifter and front mech?

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve got 1x M8000 cranks and it has holes for a granny ring as well. So yes 🙂

sam_underhill

I’ve recently looked into changing my 2x m8000 chainset into a 1x. As best as I can tell its the same crank for both.

This makes me think that the chainline might be sub-optimal unless the single ring has spacers to bring it inboard a little.

jruk
    Free Member

I put an AB ring on mine which has a corrected chainline. Apparently.

scotroutes

It’s the same crank for 2x and 1x. If you’re fitting a single ring then get some spacers and longer bolts.

If you’re happy with SLX cranks instead, let me know. I’ve a new set (off a bike/never ridden) I need to sell.

retromart

Ive recently converted my M8000 1×11 cranks to 2×11, the chainring spacing seemed exactly the same as a purchased 2×11. I actually used the m7000 slx rings on it, as these are steel and plastic, rather than the XT’s alloy rings, so hopefully will last a bit longer.
    one thing i did notice when setting up the derailleurs was that the chain kicked inwards at a certain point of the crank turn as it went around the large chainring – I eventually found the reason to be the small chainring spacer that sits behind the crankarm, to stop the chain dropping behind it, was actually a few mm longer than the gap, and was actually pushing against the chainring, causing it to deflect – a few minutes with the dremel soon sorted it. – Something to be aware of though, might be because the rings were from a non boost slx crank, and the XT was boost?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘XT M8000 cranks – use as 1x AND 2x?’ is closed to new replies.