Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • XT M785 Double chain line/shifting issues 1×10
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Anyone running these 1×10 and having/had issues.

All new parts and the chain line is not great (compromise of 1x a side). Will shift up and down cassette fine but even as little as a quarter turn back pedal dumps the chain back down two cogs every time, but only at the top/36t, its fine in every other gear.

BB shell is 73mm and I’ve shifted the spacer to non drive side which helped slightly, but issue still exists.
    I’ve measured the chain line as being roughly 51mm as set up so was wondering where the 48.8mm figure Shimano quotes comes from?

I notice that One up Components include 2mm spacers with their rings. Is it a typical problem with double specific cranks, had no issues with my old 770 triples.

Any thoughts?

fatboyjon

Sounds like chainring spacers arethe thing to try. 1×10 with a big sprocket works best when the ring lines up with the 5 sprocket.

mudmonster
    Free Member

There was another thread about this recently. I put in spring steel washers which are about 2mm wide, my chain line is dead center. Using XT double, 73mm shell, didn’t move the bb spacer.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Will check where things align later, suspect its going to need spacers. Where did you source yours and what size mudmonster?

mudmonster
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171344300233?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&var=470400590481&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Get 10mm internal diameter. Maybe you can find them cheaper from a diy shop. Had to squash them a bit in a vice first.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Cheers, for 99p don’t think I’ll bother looking else where tbh.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I had a couple of threads on this. I followed a recommendation on there and moved the single 2.5mm BB spacer from the drive side to the non drive side, and put 2mm spacers between the spider and chainring (Superstar I/O), which required slightly longer 8.5mm chainring bolts. While the chainIine in the biggest sprocket still looks quite ‘crossed’, in use there have been no issues.

I got my spacers from SJS Cycles.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Thanks for the info thegreatape not considered bolt length. Might have some longer nut part but not sure about longer bolts, looks like some measuring needs doing.

spacehopper

i had a similar problem..

chain and cassette where making horrible noises and jumping about when back pedalling in certain gears..

looked at everything again and again… played with the chainline with spacers, gear indexing and the b-screw and eventually got a best compromise.. its still not 100% when back pedalling though…

what appeared to be happening in my case..

is that when I back pedalled, the chain catches very slightly on the next sprocket up, it looks like this is due to the chainline not being 100% straight in certain gears, add in the gaps between the sprockets being narrower than 9 speed for example.. and the margin for error is a lot smaller..

everything works perfectly though when pedalling forward!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Got steel Blackspire bolts from CRC for about £9

RDL-82
    Free Member

Yep that’s pretty much how things are for me spacehopper. I know you don’t really need to back pedal but it is easier sometimes to line pedals up etc than an extra turn forward.

Cheers thegreatape I’ll look into them if I’ve nothing suitable lying around.

dirtydog
    Free Member

48.8 comes from the way a double is measured, a triple is measured from the center of the seatube to the middle chainring, a double is measured from center of seatube to halfway between the two chainrings.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘XT M785 Double chain line/shifting issues 1×10’ is closed to new replies.