Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • XT M785 Disc Brake leaking caliper
  • dickie
    Free Member

A piston seal has gone on my rear brake.
    Bought from Rose Bikes, & heard a few having similar issues & thought I’d seen on here that Madison have been doing the warranty repair without first having to return them to the retailer – is that right?

Do I just contact Madison to arrange the repair?

Tried a thread search on here but turned nothing up.

kayak23

I have a seized lever on my rear XT. Contacted Madison who told me I need to go through Chain Reaction where it was bought as they don’t deal directly with the whining, dirty public (They didn’t say the whining, dirty bit..)

shortcut

Suggest you send it back to Rose bikes. It has never been through Madison – why would they want to do the work for you.

If you want it sorted quickly the spares aren’t available separately but are exactly the same as the ones for SLX so ypu could by an caliper and usethat – and it probably isn’t the seal – its the piston that is cracked!

dickie
    Free Member

Are cracked pistons a common fault?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Blown seals in recent shimano brakes seem to be more common than they used to be. Dunno what has changed.

Unfortunately with having bought it from outside the UK your legal options are well limited and you are relying on goodwill. I doubt madison will give you much goodwill seeing as they have not profited by your purchase

honourablegeorge

Rose will pay for the return – check their customer service page.

rondo101
    Free Member

Are cracked pistons a common fault?

Rose have added a new sentence, IN CAPS LOCK, to the XT brakes page informing buyers that the pistons are ceramic & need to be handled with care. I guess they’ve had a lot of returns with cracked pistons.

bwaarp
    Free Member

……must resist…..must not type…..must not be smartass……must

Shimano’s are clearly unreliable pieces of shit!

Buy Hope!

Teapot
    Free Member

It’s important to use the yellow block for bleeding and don’t push the pistons back with a sharp metal object such as a screwdriver or you can crack the ceramic pistons.

Did the brakes come with the yellow block?

legend
    Free Member

[Quote]Buy Hope!
    [/quote]

The g/f just got some M4s, she really likes the performance, she really doesn’t like that they’ve needed bled twice in the first three rides.

Apparently some things don’t change

dlr

My 5 year old Hopes have needed bleeding once……

But I also have some of these XT’s and like them to keep on both fences 🙂

Will make a note not to use the normal screwdriver technique though just incase!

bwaarp
    Free Member

User error. Easier to bleed than Shimanos, make sure you bled them properly (do exactly what Hope says, EXACTLY) and do the overnight rubber band method as an extra if you really want.

The factory bleed is shit but I bled my Hope Tech V2 Evo’s once and they’ve been perfect. Came off and dug the lever into sandy mud….so got a bit of grit in the lever that is annoying me…..so I’m going to have to take the lever apart and clean them though.

legend
    Free Member

Yes, it’s user error, I’ve never ever bled a brake before, or followed the videos, or just expected something to arrive in a working state before. ****

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘XT M785 Disc Brake leaking caliper’ is closed to new replies.