• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • XT hub worth the increment over Deore?
  • benz
    Free Member

Having picked up some Hope brakes for my SS, I’ve been running disc on front only for a few months now.

However, time is right for using the rear disc…

Front wheel is Hope Pro 2 with 717 disc rim picked on classifieds here for great price.

So, looking at wheel build prices for the rear….

Reckon I’ll stick with a 717 disc rim, but worth paying the extra for an XT hub over the basic Deore?

I know I could go for an SS specific rear wheel, but already got a collection of rear ratios for freehub and like to chop and change.

Of course if anyone has got a great condition rear Pro2 hub with 717 rim for a great price I’d be mighty interested….wide base rear sprockets used…

wwaswas

I’d go for a Hope Hub – XT are better than Deore (mainly due to extra sealing) but freewheels are expensive when they go whereas Hope are rebuildable.

jonb
    Free Member

If you could find a hope I’d recommend that as well.

XT are heavy compared to hope, which might not bother you. XT are better sealed than deore. Unfortunately if you are the kind of person who only does maintenance when you notice something is wrong it’s often the case that shimano hubs are dead. The bearing surfaces are non replaceable so once the bearings go the surface is very quick to follow. They are easy enough to service and cheap but you need to do it. If you do get a shimano hub the first thing you should do is take it apart and put more grease in, the levels that come in vary and I’ve had one that was almost completely dry.

I’d recommend a hand built wheel form Merlin if you want XT. Otherwise see what you can get in the way of a hope hoop or second hand.

cp

superstar do a ss specific rear hub with a normal freewheel spline so that you can continue to use your current cogs. works out about £130 for a 717 disc with DB Sapim laser spokes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

XT and even LX are bth way better sealed than Deore and worth the extra IMO. Freehubs needn’t cost that much, plenty riders on here happy with shimano but plenty happy with Hope too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ll repeat this until I’m blue in the face! 😉

Shimano hubs are fine IF you look after them. I’ve found that they generally contain very little grease from new and are often adjusted either too tight on the bearings or the locknuts are loose and the cones tighten down as you ride, potentially wrecking the hub. I’ve seen this happen to a brand new XT hub on a brand new bike.

So, from new, add some nice thick grease (most ‘bike greases’ are crap) and adjust the cones properly, making sure the locknuts are tight. I’ve done this to every C&C hub I’ve had and it works. I’ve had 4 year old Deores with bearing surfaces like glass they’re so good, honestly. 🙂

But yes, XTs are better than Deores, and a bit lighter too. They are better sealed. Deores (M525) are fine, it’s the cheaper M475 that lacks the conical seals over the cones that are not so hot. XTs have better sealing, but if you pack enough grease in there it’s amazing how long even a Deore lasts. 🙂

Speshpaul

Dmr do a 3 pawl disc (cassette) rear hub you can pick them up for around £45 (ebay) they are straight out of a taiwnise catalogue and have been badged as Cub roost and planet X in the past.
    For the money they are a great hub, cartridge bearings, spares from CRC/DMR, i built one in to a wheel about 5 years ago, used it off road for a year or so and my father have been riding to work on it every day since (and going off road with as well) and its still running smooth on the factory bearings.
    For a tenner more that a XT its a MUCH better hub.

crofts2007
    Free Member

hope xc rear wheel for sale on classifieds at the moment. 317/517 rim.
    can’t go wrong!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 what Peter said

Shimanos are fine if you give them regular TLC and pack them full of good grease.

I only go Hope if I’m looking for weight losses primarily.

crofts2007
    Free Member

got a set of hope sports on 321’s, xc’s on 317 and 521’s, bulb front on 521, pro2 on dt 4.2’s and pro2 on 317’s.
    Hope, it’s the future!

D0NK

XT used to be way better than deore but the freehubs on the 775 wheelsets and I presume they are the same as the ones on current XT rear hubs are pants. go for hope or old XT – I think the 6 bolts were pretty heavy but the centrelock weren’t too bad.

(shimano freehubs aren’t serviceable, you could flush/regrease them if you get a tool from america (i think) but dunno if they still make them)

takisawa2

I rebuilt a wheel at the weekend. Replaced the crap Shimano 475 rear hub with a Deore. I also replaced the hollow axle with a solid, as its for my ss. I couldnt believe how little grease was in there. Its now well packed with some really heavy stuff we have at work. As PeterPoddy says, keep on top of them & they are fine. I’ve had XT’s before, & even they went within a year. Hopes are nice, my FS has a Pro2, but they are 4 times the cost of a Deore. I honestly cant see how they can spec the 475 hub for off-road use. Its totally crap.

benz
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

So, anyone care to sell me a decent rear wheel with Hope hub.

Alternatively, looking at Superstar SS specific rear wheel now…..anyone any experience of the Evo Pro 320-4 SS specific rear hub?

firestarter
    Free Member

Takisawa2 what did you need to make it a solid axle and how do you do it if you don’t mind. I’ve a new deore and an old xt I run ss and would like a bolt in axle . Thanks in advance

FOG

Second the comments on Shimano maintenance. I run 6 bolt XTs on two bikes which are fine but the Deore 525s I had previously were just as good and are still running fine 7 years on after selling them to a mate. I keep thinking I will move to Hope hubs but the price difference always puts me off. Same with the brakes. Every time I moan about having to fettle sticking pistons I remember they cost nearly half the Hope price and work just as well, just need TLC which to all accounts Hope need just as much.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My 2 pence worth:
    I was undecided on the whole Shimano cup and cone v cartridge bearing debate. I have both and they both have pros and cons. The decision was made for me on a winter ride last year when my Shimano freehub froze and I was stranded with a thankfully not-too-long dark and snowy walk home. I’ve heard you can wee on them to defrost them, but I didn’t need a wee 🙁

I’m sure someone will be along to say that Hope hubs freeze too, but they’re a lot easier to take apart and free up the pawls, whereas the Shimano freehub body is not so user serviceable. I have required 2 new freehub bodies for my Deore hub.

(That said I hate the brutal nature of servicing hubs with bearings that need drifting in and out a la Hope)

RicB

ime XT hubs have far better seals than deore. Pitted cones don’t matter that much really; the wheel still goes round and will last another few months at least.

As D0NK said though, the new XT freehubs are rubbish. They have more engagement points which means they’re better in technical sections because there is less pedal movement before the hub engages. 36 point vs. 18 point engagement on the old 76x series hubs. BUT the new freehubs just don’t seem to last, and aren’t cheap when they do go. Hope 4 pawl hubs are stronger and pawls are much cheaper to replace

Bear in mind with a SS you’ll put a lot of stress through a freehub.

I’d go for Hope if it was me….

RicB

The decision was made for me on a winter ride last year when my Shimano freehub froze and I was stranded with a thankfully not-too-long dark and snowy walk home. I’ve heard you can wee on them to defrost them, but I didn’t need a wee

Yep, this happened to me on top of Embsay moor. Good job it was only -10! Weeing on the freehub helps briefly but then it just freezes again. Water from a Camelback also works and is a little more socially acceptable!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘XT hub worth the increment over Deore?’ is closed to new replies.