Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • XT HT2 Bottom Brackets – Still poor?
  • drewd

My XT Hollowtech II BB needs replacing, and I notice that the new ones have smaller bearings, and therefore require an adapter to fit the existing BB tool. Shimano claim that they have better sealing than the older style, and weigh less.

I thought that the larger bearing of the old design would help improve bearing life? Am I wrong? And are the new MT800 any more resilient than it’s predecessor?

If they are still a bit cheesey, what do people use? Hope is too expensive for me. I have seen people mention Gusset and Token, but those posts are a few years old now and they are out of stock on some sites. Is there anything better for similar money?

Thanks

molgrips
    Free Member

I recently bought a Race Face one that has replaceable bearings. It’s been a year ish and is fine – no idea what it’ll be like long term.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Don’t over tighten the crank preload bolt and XT should last thousands of miles.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevextc
    Free Member

I reckon you buy a disposable or not…
    Last buy I just got the Deore as I’m not buying a new tool for a disposable BB and they are actually cheaper than new bearings for a non-disposable BB

THB it’s not like an internal headset where I’ll pay more as its no more work replacing the BB than just bearings… whereas headset you have all the extra faff but I keep thinking perhaps I should get a “proper one” …. If I had a press-fit then perhaps a different matter….

nedrapier

what do the crank pinch bolts have to do with the bearings?

jameso

New XT version seems to be a real improvement.

Having a good track record of killing previous gen Shimano HT2 BBs of all levels in 3-5 months every time on any of 3 bikes, the new 8000 XTs have been on 2 bikes for almost a year now – I’d say they’re much improved. The issue with the old ones wasn’t bearing size, it was poor sealing, from Deore up to XTR level. Will strip one of the 8000 BBs when it’s worn out but already suspect the sealing is better.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Shimano still sell the old style ones branded as Deore – mine last years.

onewheelgood

Nothing at all, but since no except you has suggested they might I think we won’t worry about it.

simondbarnes

What onewheelgood said 🙂

jam-bo

Last buy I just got the Deore as I’m not buying a new tool for a disposable BB

shimano supply an adaptor tool in the box.

nedrapier

Ha! eyes problem, clearly!

kraken2345
    Free Member

I used to kill the older style HT2 in a matter of months until I realised how little torque the compression cap actually needs. The tool I was using was fairly large so I didn’t think twice for a while. No problems with longevity now I’m not overtorquing.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Always had great longevity from Shimano BB’s. They last years, are people riding through swamps daily to kill them so quickly.

Last 2 RaceFace BB’s I had I managed to kill in about a month.

As others have said the preload bit I think is key.

whitestone
    Free Member

For preload I finger tighten with the plastic tool then back off a quarter of a turn. Not had any problems with that regimen for any Shimano HT2 BB or the Hope ones.

duir
    Free Member

18 months on an XT BB and still fine. As stated above steady on the (not) crank pinch bolts. Have a Hope one in the spares bin that needs new bearings but can’t justify the cost which is a complete rip off and don’t know if they last any longer than cheaper stuff.

NewRetroTom

Last buy I just got the Deore as I’m not buying a new tool for a disposable BB

shimano supply an adaptor tool in the box.

Bought mine from CRC and it didn’t come with the adaptor (or in a box). Slightly annoying, but the adaptors can be had for a couple of quid on ebay (or possibly scrounged from a bike shop who probably have dozens of these.

drewd

Wow, thanks all.

The Deore BB is about £10 but reportedly doesn’t last all that long, as the new XT one is only £16 and has the adapter I will go for that.

To be fair my last BB was on the bike when I got it, and has lasted a couple of years. I went out in some fairly grim conditions earlier this year, and I suspect that’s when this one started to deteriorate.

I’ll grab the new XT one today and be sure not to compress the bearing when setting the preload.

martinhutch

I can generally kill any Shimano BB over the winter period, correct preloading or not. But at a year per Deore BB, that seems reasonable. Didn’t notice XT lasting any longer.

andy10011
    Free Member

My Shimano one lasted a winter so I’m using a gusset one now. Seems good

vincienup
    Free Member

The only possibility might be if crank pinch bolts and the plastic preload cap were confused. People *do* confuse the functions of the different screws… Entire product lines (those anodised preload caps for HT2 for example) exist because of it.

I can see the appeal of swapping Deore BB’s at about £9 a throw rather than laying out several times that for a serviceable BB and then a similar amount the Deore every time for spare bearings.

I’ve run GXP, XT and even Race Face BB’s habitually, dependent on crank or mood and I’ve never really had a BB that didn’t last an acceptable/expected amount of time. At the end of the day, they are consumables, but I think a lot of people just overdo the preload (or in the case of GXP try to fill the gap with spacers…) and don’t realise.

gkeeffe

be gentle with the pre-load and you can get over two years out of them… Really easy to trash them with even a little too much!

ahwiles
    Free Member

gusset ext24, still going strong after 4+ years of grotty commuting.

£25.

(and the bearings are standard cartridge)

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve got a road groupset with the smaller HT2 BB and it lasts fine – it’s on my commuter still running smooth after about 5000 miles.

The bigger HT2 BBs are certainly better than SRAM’s offerings, but I’ve not found they last as well, although of course I’m running them on a mountain bike with more shit being thrown in their general direction (but far less salty water)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘XT HT2 Bottom Brackets – Still poor?’ is closed to new replies.