Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XT Hollowtech BB longevity
  • montgomery
    Free Member

Piece of string – how many kilometres would you expect to be getting out of a current XT Hollowtech BB?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s not how many but what you do with them. KM’s/miles are for fair weather roadies.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Lasting reasonably well for me since I started packing them with Castrol waterpump grease from new. 18 months so far. Whereas. I previously found that I could kill them within 3 months.
    Also, don’t over tighten your crank – that makes a big difference as it side loads the bearing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Quite a long time. Long enough that I don’t really know.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also, don’t over tighten your crank – that makes a big difference as it side loads the bearing.

Having moved to hope’s and SRAM/RF cranks I’ve found it’s better and impossible to over tighten. Great progress.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you do nothing else, DONT OVERTIGHTEN the preload doobrie, just take up the slack, nothing more!

damascus
    Free Member

I found that if you are using your bike regularly they are OK. It’s when it sits on a spare bike that the water just gathers at the bottom and rusts the bearings. Once that happens it’s game over.

I think the BB are OK but he seals are rubbish. That’s probably why packing them with grease has worked above.

montgomery
    Free Member

4000km in 4 months? My old Middleburn cranks and square taper BB would laugh at that mileage, but it’s killed the current XT job. I’d hoped the longevity issues with early external BBs had been solved by now, but maybe not. I’ll bear the tips above in mind and see how the next one goes, ta.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

9 months for me. Don’t know what that is in miles but it included a Swedish winter (in kilometers as we don’t use miles here) cOnFuSed?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XT Hollowtech BB longevity’ is closed to new replies.