Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Xt External BB
  • mjsmke

I have an XT External BB that started to creak during yesterdays ride. I know the most common cause o f a creak is loose bolts or the non drive side crank bolt not tightened evenly. So i’ve removed the cranks and bb, cleaned it all and checked for wear. The non drive side bearing has a very tiny amount of movement but only at a certain part of it’s rotation. Appaet from that both bearings are silky smooth. When the cranks are on there is definately no movement.

Beffore i clean the threads, re grease and re install Has anyone else had experience of XT BB’s creaking?

montylikesbeer

might sound daft but also check your pedals and chain rings.

Creaks, knocks and clicks can appear under load to be from anywhere.

Also any water or corrosion in the bottom bracket area ?

mjsmke

Thanks, but they have all been checked that they are tight. Wont hurt to clean and re grease again i guess.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I know it sounds daft, but try greasing the skewer in your rear wheel

GW
    Free Member

so one bearing has play so def on it’s way out but you can’t detect play checking by hand but you can’t understand how it creaks with the weight of a grown man standing on the pedals? 😕

if the creak bothers you stop fannying around and fit a new BB cup.

mjsmke

Just to update. The drive side cup was very easy to remove (so it may have been causing the creaking/clicking).

I removed the BB and cleaned all threads. Re greased BB threads and crank axle + splines.

Today it was silent for about an hour until i sprinted up a hill then the noise came back. It was then there even while riding fairly gently sitting down.

I think now i will just stick in a new BB.

andyl
    Free Member

if it still feels loose then try some PTFE tape on the threads.

shortcut

It is also worth checking bars, stem, seat post – all proven sources of BB creaks!!

druidh
    Free Member

Don’t throw the old one away or you’ll kick yourself when you fit the new one and there’s still some creaking 🙂

mjsmke

I know its not the bars/stem or seat post. The creaking is there even if im not holding the bars and while standing up.

I checked the pedal threads the other day too and the noise is still present.

Good call about keeping the old BB in case its not that casing the problem. Though i’ll just keep it as a spare if its not that. It all just seems odd th :-)ough. I’m use to BB’s having lots of play when they need replacing. This one seems silky smooth with no play. None that i can feel by hand anyway.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bikes creak.

They also get muddy.

Possibly re grease them but you may smash the plastic plate on the outside trying to remove/replace.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Xt External BB’ is closed to new replies.