• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • XT Di2 1×11 or good old fashioned mechanical?
  • BearBack
    Free Member

Looking to order my drive train for my soon to arrive Spark 700 Plus tuned frameset.
    Wondering if theres any huge benefit to going XT Di2 or if 1×11 do I simply stick with XTR shifter M8000 XT rear mech?
    I appreciate with 2×11 it make more sense, but whats the upside over old fashined shifting?
    Whatever shifting will most likely be paired with an e13 9-46 cassette.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I considered it, but for a 1×11 setup, it really doesn’t seem worth it.

mickmcd
    Free Member

have the di2 it’s ace even for novelty value , it’s not going to have you waxing lyrically how it’s changed your life…….but it’s cool having no cable issues

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RoterStern
    Free Member

I’d also be interested in hearing opinions on di2 as I’m considering it for my Niner singlespeed so I can conert it to 1×11 quickly without all the faff with new cables and outers etc.

onandon
    Free Member

I have xtr Di2 and I’d say it’s better than the road Di2 system ( the new dura ace looks amazing )
    This is my first shimano set up in years as I was always an sram fan. Di2 is faultless if a little spendy.

scotroutes

I quite fancy it so I could put an additional gear change button on my bar ends.

onandon
    Free Member

Whatever floats your boat 🙂
    I used an r600 shifter for a while but after changing a few prongs, couldn’t get a positive enough ” click ” when riding with gloves.
    I went back to the regular xtr shifter

BearBack
    Free Member

So, it won’t be an enlightening change, I’ve never had mechaical cable issues so aside from it probably being pretty cool from a functionality and ‘its new’ perspective, it’s probably not worth it?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Had XTR di2 – shifter is shit

onandon
    Free Member

I was cynical until I actually used it. I’ve also never had issues with cables but this is a different league to mechanical.
    Try it or have a play with an install in a shop. You’ll be sold.

Where are you? Happy for you to try mine if anywhere near north Hampshire.

How is the shifter shit ? It’s a switch and far more consistent than the mechanical shifter which I though was pants.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Apparently, some people have issue with the ergonomics of the shifter. It’s fine for me however. Do it!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

It replicates a cable shifter, with lever throw, it doesn’t need to, poor design imho and one of the fundamental reasons I sold it, even the climbing shifter from the road group is better

onandon
    Free Member

It’s not a poor design, you just didn’t like it. I’ve never been a fan of shimano shifter enganomics but can just about cope with the Di2 as the click is lighter. Ideally I want to split and r600 shifter and have a button under each grip to replicate SRAM etap

andybrad

What happens if you fully submerged the full d2i system? Is it completely waterproof?

Flaperon

Should think so. The connectors are basically double sealed. If you managed to get a stick between the spoke and the cable I suspect you’d need to replace both the spoke and cable afterwards.

cokie

What happens if you fully submerged the full d2i system? Is it completely waterproof?

I’ve seen various videos where they fully submerge bikes underwater- such as Martyn Ashton’s Roadbike party.
    Road Bike Party vid HERE
    The bike video HERE

I’ve also seen countless CX riders hammering their Di2 equipped bikes through the muddy, wet & gritty CX season without any issues.

I’m eyeing up the XT Di2 too. Some reasonably priced kits out there for 1×11. Pretty much the same price as Sram Eagle 1×12, just add a £59 cassette to the XT setup..
    Eagle HERE
    XT Di2 HERE

adsh
    Free Member

I thought the main advantage for Di on mountain bikes was the ability to change gear under full power and that over the course of a race this added up to an advantage.

If you don’t race and are not a gadget freak I can’t see the point. I can however see the disadvantages of extra weight, cost and replacement cost (mechs). Disclaimer – I’m a late adopter of everything.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘XT Di2 1×11 or good old fashioned mechanical?’ is closed to new replies.