Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • XT composite middle ring – compatible with other chainsets?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hopefully getting a raceface chainset tomorrow and have a spare 32t XT composite ring, will this fit the crank arms or is it specific to shimano?

loum
    Free Member

you’ll know before us, but it could go either way.
    I’ve got a 32 tooth SLX composite chainring that doesn’t fit on my SLX crank-arms because the tabs inside the bolt holes are too thick. I’ve also got a 32 tooth XT chainring that does fit 🙂
    Sometimes it makes no sense

andymac
    Free Member

I am afraid I don’t think they will fit. My SLX mid didn’t fit a Race Face Evolve and neither did a Saint 36t.

Northwind

May not fit without some tweaking but pretty much anything can be made to fit if you own a file (or better, some sort of power grindy thing)

billyboy
    Free Member

If the BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter….there are quite a few different ones about) is the same it may fit with a bit of filing. If it ain’t then forget it.

Northwind

Recent raceface and shimano all have sensible BCDs luckily. Though, can’t speak for 10-speed stuff but 9-speed was pretty much standardised, thank gawd.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Even with the same BCD (104), the ‘arms’ of a Shimano composite chainring are longer. So, if you want to put a composite chainring on cranks not designed for it, you need to either file off the small tab on the cranks (quite easy), or the chainring ‘arms’ themselves (more difficult). Don’t know about Raceface, but it took me about fifteen minutes to adapt a set of deore cranks to fit an SLX composite chainring – mask off the bits you don’t want to damage with the file, file off the tabs, touch up with a bit of black paint – done! Worth doing IMO – much smoother & quieter shifting with the composite middle.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

it fits fine

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘XT composite middle ring – compatible with other chainsets?’ is closed to new replies.