• This topic has 17 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • XT Clutch mech spares
  • dlr

Hi

I need part 8 from here http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/RD/EV-RD-M786-3321_v1_m56577569830801190.pdf

The only places I’ve found listing it are in Germany and suggesting long lead times http://www.bike-components.de/products/language/en/info/p38237_Nockeneinheit-fuer-RD-M820—RD-M786—RD-M675—RD-M640—RD-M615.html

I had a look on Madisons site and couldn’t find it listed and their contact page says emails can take up to 2 weeks to be replied to….

So thought I would see if anyone here knew of a place with them in stock, it’s Y-5Y198120 / Y5Y198120

cheers

Darren

chrisdw
    Free Member

Ask in a local shop. Pretty much all of them have Madison accounts. Or just save the hassle and buy a new mech.

edd

I’ve had two break in the same way. Both have been replaced under warranty. Might be worth a go?

dlr

The mechs over a year old and still works fine and I never drop the chain just thought for a few quid it would be worth swapping this bit. I will speak to the local shop

cheers

perthmtb
    Free Member

When mine bust in exactly the same place CRC sent me a whole new rear derailleur. As its a recognised design/manufacturing fault, you may still be able to get a replacement even tho’ its technically out of warranty. Unfortunately a lot are breaking at the moment, so the spare part is out of stock all over. However, you can continue to ride with it while you’re waiting, it’ll just act like a normal mech rather than a clutch one.

dlr

Came from germany so probably not worth the hassle heh. Yer it’s been broken for a while by the looks of it just I hadn’t bothered to take it apart. It’s still a lot quieter than previous gen XT I used to run presumably due to the stiffer spring so no rush. I did read that it’s a common issue, the bit in question is seriously thin!

willber
    Free Member

you could try a shimano service centre

Find your nearest one and give them a call…. do you know the name of the spare part rather than just the ref no.? I’m gonna need one soon too, is if the clutch tensioner?

http://www.thecyclingexperts.co.uk/find-a-cycle-shop/?browsebuscat=&location=&radius=&searchterms=&searchtype=any&filter-shimano-service=1

willber
    Free Member

Oh, and also this might be relevant……

SHIMANO LIMITED WARRANTY
    This warranty covers bicycle products manufactured by or for Shimano Europe B.V., Industrieweg 24, 8071 CT Nunspeet, The Netherlands (the “Shimano Products”).

WARRANTY PERIOD

Shimano warrants that the Shimano Product is free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal conditions and reasonable use:
    -for two years[u] for all Shimano Products excluding Dura-Ace and XTR branded products;
    · for three years for Dura-Ace and XTR branded products only;
    from the date of original retail purchase.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Just the broken bit and the cam it encompasses is called the “cam unit”. You might have better luck finding a “stabiliser unit” Y5Y198020 which includes the cam unit.

dlr

oooh cheers both of you, I presumed it was one year!

Yer stabiliser unit is the full name from that pdf link at the top

Mister-P
    Free Member

Madison part number is 5Y1 9802, it comes as part number 7 Stabilizer Unit. In stock so any shop with a Madison account can order it for you.

dlr

Thanks Mister P, I couldn’t find it earlier as I used the exact syntax from the Shimano document. I will try the German place where I got it from first to see about 2yr warranty if not then I will get a shop to order the spare for me

thanks all

beamends
    Free Member

just curious what happens when this part breaks as ive just shelled out for a clutch mech myself.

take it the clutch bit doesnt work any more?

dlr

Correct, the mech just works like any old style one ie fine most of the time. I’ve had no chain drops with mine like this as the spring is pretty stiff anyway.

dlr

Thanks, trying to get ze Germans to replace it atm and they are not playing ball so far, will try a couple more emails 😉

Burchy1
    Free Member

dlr did you ever get your’s sorted out? Started to hear a bit of chainslap on the last ride, when i opened the mech up the exact same part fell out 🙁

Anyone know of anywhere with the part in stock, singletrackbikes link above states out of stock?

RicB

Bicikli have them. Mine also broke and ive been looking for the part to keep as a spare

My slx mech is currently back at Ribble for ‘assessment’.

Ps I emailed Madison and they say they’ve never heard of the problem…..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘XT Clutch mech spares’ is closed to new replies.