Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Xt Chainsets.. difference between 9 and 10 speed? M770
  • renton
    Free Member

I currently have a triple 9 speed chainset fitted to my bike.XT M770

I was considering changing to a 20 speed set up and was just wondering if i could get away with fitting 10 speed rings to a 9 speed chainset?

there is a m770 10 speed chainset that looks the same as mine which is what has got me thinking.

cheers

Steve

RDL-82
    Free Member

Don’t see why not iirc the m770 was the 9spd and they changed it to m771 for 10spd but it kept the same chain line so likely just a rebadging on old stock etc.

Dickyboy

Steve – yes no problem with doing that m770 9 & 10 speed cranks are exactly the same, just marked as m770 – 10 by the pedal thread I think.

RDL-82 – m771 refers to the 9 speed 48,36,26t variant which is different & you cannot fit the m770 composite middle ring onto them

chakaping
    Free Member

The difference between the 9sp and 10sp triple chainsets is that the rings are marginally closer together on the 10sp.

Not sure what you’re proposing to do with a 9sp chainset though? Shimano and SRAM both only made dedicated 2×10 chainsets for MTB AFAIK.

renton
    Free Member

I was thinking of buying some 10 speed front rings and a bash guard as a start to going 2×10. Was wondering if 10 speed rings will fit onto my 9 speed chainset or perhaps I could get away with using 9 speed chainrings with a 10 speed chain and cassette?

RDL-82
    Free Member

RDL-82 – m771 refers to the 9 speed 48,36,26t variant which is different & you cannot fit the m770 composite middle ring onto them

My bad. I’ve definitely seen 771’s referred to as 10spd though but most shops seem to struggle to get the facts right half the time!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Xt Chainsets.. difference between 9 and 10 speed? M770’ is closed to new replies.