Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • XT Chainset
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I am contemplating a new chainset for my Superlight. There’s lots of really nice, bling stuff out there but if all I ‘m looking for is a stiff, light set of cranks etc that won’t cost a fortune for new rings every five minutes, with a bottom bracket I won’t trash every six months, need I look any further than XT?

The bling stuff is tempting but I’d rather fit and forget…… any ideas for good alternatives or do I stay with the big S?

glenh
    Free Member

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I need a new chainset as well the Shimano SLX for £99.99 from Merlin is looking very tempting

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-chainsets/shimano-slx-chainset.html

cp

XT is far better than Deore IMO… Noticeably stiffer rings and crank arms, and crisper shifting for longer.

mine are nearly a year old and going strong!

takisawa2

I’d go for SLX.
    Deore’s don’t have the hollow arms loke SLX/XT, but do look like they’re scalloped out at the back to save weight. Either way go for Deore steel inner & middle rings when you do change them as they last loads longer & weigh only a tiny bit more.

Keva
    Free Member

slx cranks etc but get xt rear cassette & mech

Keva

cp

xt have steel inner and middle rings – the middle is mounted on a carbon or composite of some sort spider to save weight.

Nobby

xt have steel inner and middle rings – the middle is mounted on a carbon or composite of some sort spider to save weight.

So does the SLX.

I’ve had both & would choose SLX over XT.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘XT Chainset’ is closed to new replies.