Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Xt cassette & xt chain vs. sram pg990 cassette & pc991 chain
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

which would you go for?

any reason not to use either??

any longevity issues with either, or if not which will last longer mtb'ing

neninja
    Free Member

XT cassette everytime – well made and light

Neither chain – KMC X9L Gold for me

clubber
    Free Member

Whichever is cheaper. They all work well.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

pretty much same price – sram set is 7 quid dearer

i thought sram stuff was better for the mud and mtb'ing in general?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My opinion* is that Shimano cassettes last a bit longer than Sram, and shift a tad better, but there's not much in it

*sorry if it differs from yours! 😉

Three_Fish
    Free Member

XT cassette and KMC X9.93 or XTR/DuraAce is the most durable set-up I've used. SRAM 971 and 991 chains were awful, as were the 971 cassettes, although that was a few years ago and SRAM have reportedly reverted to the original Sachs 'recipe' on the chains.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Another vote for XT cassette and a KMC X9 chain, they rock and last ages

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

On my third cassette – two 970s, now on 990 – it certainly looks nice. Used 971 and 991 chains and I rate them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

HG-50 8 speed and cheap shimano chain outlasts them all and makes you 0.01% slower!

poppa
    Free Member

Buy the cheapest. XT is slightly lighter. If they were the same price I would go XT, but personally speaking my next cassette will be SRAM-980 as it weighs the same as 990 but is a lot cheaper.

TeaBoyPaul

XT cassette with SRAM 991 chain here.. Used this combo for a good while and am happy with the results. Never tried a KMC chain but might give one a go next time round.

VanHalen

shimano cassette. sram chain. just for the chain clippy linky thing easiness.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

shimano cassette. sram chain. just for the chain clippy linky thing easiness.

You can use a 9spd Powerlink on 9spd Shimano or KMC chains. The KMC chains come with their own version (Missing Link) which will also work with Shimano and SRAM chains.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Xt cassette & xt chain vs. sram pg990 cassette & pc991 chain’ is closed to new replies.