Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • xt cassette sprockets gone lose on carrier is this normal !!!
  • blastit
    Free Member

My first xt cassette and the 3/4 sprockets are going a bit lose.
    Its had 5/6 months of twice a week use . Its on an alloy freehub so need it not to dig in. Other options ❓

dirtydog
    Free Member

Should be covered by warranty imo, it’s not like it’s a normal wear and tear issue.

cubist
    Free Member

Mine did this when the lock ring came a bit loose – if you haven’t already its worth a check.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    creagbhan

The lock ring came loose on mine as well. Replaced the XT one with a Token one from CRC. It has a longer thread.

medoramas
    Free Member

It happened twice for me. Both times it was under warranty (first I had replacement, then I got my money back when it happened to the replacement).

The rivets are c**p. No more XT cassette for me, waste of money and time.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Sheared the four cog down on mt XT cassette 3 weeks a go in a race, was gutted,managed to do another lap moving from 3rd to 5th before the whole thing ripped itself apart and shagged the chain as well.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Lock ring came loose on me once doing this, though it turned out it had shredded the threads on the alloy freehub. Steel lockring + alloy freehub. That was on a cheaper cassette. I always use alloy lockrings, regardless of the cassette now.

blastit
    Free Member

The lock ring is fine the sprockets wobble on the carrier on mine Although the threads do look a bit short on lock ring.
    Forgot where I brought it from now 😳
    Will look through PP later.

damascus
    Free Member

Is it the right freehub?

I.e 11 speed hub with 10sd cassette?

Or does it just need a spacer? my mavic road wheels needed a spacer in order for the locking ring to get tight.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Do you use spacers behind the cassette? My Crank Brothers hub requires spacers to align and avoid clashes with the hub flanges, but this reduces the amount of thread available to engage. That contributed to my above thread stripping by the lock ring I think.

You can get deeper lock rings I believe.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘xt cassette sprockets gone lose on carrier is this normal !!!’ is closed to new replies.