Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • XT Cassette (M8000) and SRAM GX rear mech – will it work?
  • warns74
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been done but my search didn’t throw anything up.

Was wondering if anyone has tried this or can confirm/deny whether it would work?

I’m looking at a good deal on some SRAM GX cranks, shifter and rear mech to move over to 1×11. My hope hub has the standard shimano driver on so would like to know if I put a Shimano XT M8000 11-42T cassette on would there be any issues in pairing this up with all the 1×11 GX stuff?

Thanks.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I seem to recall a thread on here recently where your proposed setup was working flawlessly for many folk.

warns74
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m not surprised there is already a thread I just cant seem to find it!

otsdr
    Free Member

Usually people do it the other way around* because the Shimano mech and shifter are cheaper and the SRAM cassette has the greater range; your setup should work as well.

*: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/xt-11-speed-mech-and-shifter-on-x01-cassette

warns74
    Free Member

Trouble is Id have to factor in an XD driver for the SRAM cassette hence why Im looking at this way round.

For 1×11 with GX, it seems to imply a long cage version of the SRAM GX rear mech is needed? Is this right?

otsdr
    Free Member

There are two versions of the GX, one that only works as 1x* (and is only available in one cage length), the other that works as both**. If the capacity of the medium caged one is greater than 29 (40 – 11), you could use that in a 1x setup.

*: https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/gx-1×11-x-horizon-rear-derailleur
    **: https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/gx-2×11-rear-derailleur

l.e: I’m pretty sure the 2x medium-caged one will work in a 1x setup, the long cage is for the 2x setup.

l.l.e: According to the tech docs on SRAM’s website, all GX rear mechs, regardless of cage length, work in 1×11, but the dedicated 1x one should be the preferred option.

warns74
    Free Member

thanks otdsr, that is a bit clearer, (apart from the bit in the text for the 1×11 where it refers to it as 2×11 and as having a long cage!)

On the plus side the picture of the 1×11 version looks like the one I was about to order so I think Im good to go!

No wonder i’m confused!

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

This is what I have and it does indeed work. Prefer the ergonomics of the SRAM levers.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Sram gripshifter , Sram GX rear mech and Shimano 11-42 , 11 speed casette working perfectly here .

davidxbrown
    Free Member

When I was having a little bit of wheel faffage fir a short while ran 11 speed SRAM X01 Mech with XT M8000 11-42 cassette on one bike and SRAM 10-42 Casette with XT Mech on the other bike, no issues at all.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seems I have the wrong mech hanger, sram requires a different hanger for canyon than shimano do.

Ooft!.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘XT Cassette (M8000) and SRAM GX rear mech – will it work?’ is closed to new replies.