Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • XT caliper leakage
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I have an old pair of Shimano XTs pre servowave 2pots

the calipers weap oil not at an alarming rate but enough to contaminate the pads when left sitting over night. Brake still feels solid a year later but the howling is doing my- and those i ride withs nut in.

pistons are in good condition – i boiled them coming down ben nevis north face path a while back with 160mm rotors and they have done it since so i reckon ive fudged the seals –

anyone tried taking them apart and seeing if this seal is just a square oring & perhaps a common part bought in to make the brakes up( i cant see them making it specially)

just wondering if anyones done this before i dismantle them for no reason.

I cant see any issue with doing the work as the pistons are easy enough to get out – ive had them out to clean them up and check them – its not like hope where you really need to take the bore back out

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

just had exactly the same problem, to the letter terry.

been told that those calipers are non-servicable – can't get new seals etc for them.
    i've had to buy new calipers. got some LX ones from CRC – £20 a pop with pads and a rotor (gonna sell the rotor) so not that bad really…
    only issue is that the caliper interferes with the +20mm post adapter…

trail_rat
    Free Member

i know thats the "official" solution tom – just trying to think outside the box – if it cant be done ill put my BB7 back on and throw the XT back in the spares box – was only refitted at the puffer so i had shimano pads all round on both bikes ….

i may do some tinkering one evening next week – measure out the seal and try rbuilding it with a replacement of somekind.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coatesy
    Free Member

Wasn't a straightforward square seal on the calipers i've taken apart, the inner edge had a thin lip to it that opens out to seal better when under pressure.
    If the caliper's shot, there's no harm in stripping it down and seeing if there's an obvious fault such as something trapped in the seal area causing the leak, you've got nothing to lose by trying.

trail_rat
    Free Member

nah coatsey ive had em apart when they first started doing it – they are clean inside just weaps ever so slightly

ill probably just as you say strip em down and try measure then try and find some oter brake that uses the same size seals … ahem magura are a likely candidate

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘XT caliper leakage’ is closed to new replies.