Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • No XT brake lever travel, can't pump fluid through caliper
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Noticed brake lever travel really short on ride yesterday. Today there’s no travel at all. Tried to bleed system but fluid won’t pump through. Tried winding all lever adjusters out, but nothing will let the fluid through. System blocked?

rob2
    Free Member

Interestingly I have the same issue. I think it’s the seals on the caliber being knackered

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Shimano don’t do repair kits but you can get an SLX caliper with pads for £21 from CRC. If fitting that and bleeding it, will lever return to normal position?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Or is the problem at the lever? In which case, you can get a replacement XT lever for £24. Just need to know which end to buy, caliper or lever!

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve not had a chance to look at mine yet. I reckon I’ll just get a lever and caliper set and keep the other for spare parts.

coatesy
    Free Member

A pretty fair bet it’ll be the lever, there’s a port between the reservoir and cylinder, the piston seal leaving it open until you pull the lever, at which point it blocks the port off and pressurises the fluid from the cylinder to the caliper. If the piston isn’t returning all the way, the system stays pressurised, and no fluid will pass into the reservoir, and thus out of the bleed port.You may be able to remove the hose, and push it back through there, but it’s likely to happen again.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Yes, It looks to be the lever. Just swapped the rear caliper over to the front and fluid won’t pump through. Will order a lever off CRC and will at least have one for spares. Thanks all, this forum is legendary.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘No XT brake lever travel, can't pump fluid through caliper’ is closed to new replies.