Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • XT Brake Hose Shortening Issue
  • domderbyshire
    Free Member

Morning. I have fitted some M785s to my bike and shortened the hoses following Shimano’s instructions. I lost no fluid during this process. Getting the pistons to return enough to fit the pads was hard, but over and above that, I have found the brake levers are very firm and the pads are dragging, almost like there’s no longer any give in the system.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or can offer a solution.

Many thanks and Happy Christmas,

Dom

jsync

Sounds like too much fluid.

khani
    Free Member

Push the pistons back with the yellow funnel fitted,

bigyinn
    Free Member

Or just crack the bleed nipple open and drain a bit out that way?

jairaj

yep sounds like over fill. Easy to fix:

Remove break pads, open bleed nipple, push pistons back in, tighten bleed nipple, clean up any spillage, put pads back in. Go ride!

sodadr
    Free Member

As others have said, push the pistons back with the funnel attached, or the bleed port open. I find also that the lever feel becomes progressively softer as the pads wear, sometimes resulting in having to add fluid if I wanted to keep the firmer feel at the lever…then having to remove fluid when replacing the old pads with new.

Also, that tiny little hole on the seam of the reservoir, do you reckon that’s a sort of emergency fluid outlet to avoid damage from too much pressure when pushing back pistons in an overfilled system?

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Great suggestions. Thank you very much for your help. I’ll give it a go!

oldnick

The tiny hole allows air in behind the bellows as the pads wear and the fluid level drops.

oldnick

Slight hijack but it might help someone.

When cutting hoses I pump the pistons out a bit to start with, then cut the hose up at the lever end, finish up by pushing the pads back with the lever cap off and any bubbles get blown into the reservoir.

Adds a minute to the job but never fails 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Standard procedure surely? 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘XT Brake Hose Shortening Issue’ is closed to new replies.