Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • XT BB replacement suggestions
  • Weasel
    Free Member

My XT Hollowtech II is on the way out, I’ve found replacements for around £11, is it worth going for XTR at double the cost or any other brands I should consider?

Thanks.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Just buy the SlX/XT BB-70 IMO

mcnultycop

XTR for me. It’s black.

benpinnick

Xtr everytime

Northwind

XTR, ime, is similiar to XT in use. The design’s different but the lifespan is comparable, certainly wasn’t twice as good.

Gusset EXT24 is a good alternative, at about the same price as XTR- lifespna is pretty comparable, a little better, if you leave it alone. But it’s also more servicable, so an occasional clean and grease will extend that a lot. And when it dies, it’s very easy to replace the bearings (which are a totally standard size, so you’re not bound to an expensive unique part like Hope). Got these in all my bikes now.

fivespot
    Free Member

Hope…XT 3 months and shot, Hope 3 years and still going 😉

jedf9
    Free Member

Hope all the way. They are expensive in comparison to others, but mine has now lasted around 8 times longer than the XT or XTR ones I was using before. Haven’t had to touch it for even a re-grease for the 1000 miles I’ve put through it, and still going strong.

Northwind

Wait… You’re saying you were getting 125 miles from an XT or XTR BB?

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have a wheels one on the shan, its got serviceable bearings so should last forever really!

Mate who road cycles daily to commute, in scottish salt, snow, ming etc has a ceramic hope one that has lasted him 4 years and a couple of thousand miles

jedf9
    Free Member

Wait… You’re saying you were getting 125 miles from an XT or XTR BB?

On average, mind you I worked the 8 times longer thing from time rather than distance. I got a road bike too since the Hope bb went on, so I’ve been putting fewer miles through it in a similar time frame. I found that on very long rides they would ingress grit and water, and then by the end of the day the bearings are rough and need a full rebuild to be relatively normal again. They would last longer with more maintenance, but I’d rather have the Hope one which I can ride all day without worry.

Northwind

Right, I’m usually cagey about this but if you only get 125 miles from an XT or XTR BB, it’s because of something you’re doing. And it’s almost certainly overtightening, since other than that it’d need to be something like storing the bike in the sea or setting it on fire. Coincidentally, the Hope BB’s major strong point is that it’s very resistant to overtightening.

I don’t know how many rides I get out of a Shimano one. Enough that I lose count, and then quite a lot more after. They’re not amazing but they’re just not as bad as you’re saying.

RobHilton
    Free Member

storing the bike in the sea or setting it on fire

😆

mudmonster
    Free Member

My hope bottom bracket is still sat on the shelf. My xt refuses to die, been using it day in day out for 8 or 9 months. Got an ext24 ceramic in my main bike, went for a little ride and realised it was way too tight(and didn’t tighten the 2 crank bolts. Hope I haven’t damaged it, was only 4 miles though.

jedf9
    Free Member

Hehe, pretty sure I haven’t set it on fire! Although my housemate has a penchant for setting his fatbike tyres on fire while he’s trying to seat them, maybe he’s experimenting while I’m not around… 😉

cannondaleking
    Free Member

phil wood stainless ht11 bb the whole thing is polished stainless fit and pretty much forget for all time fitted one 6 years ago still silky used daily

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘XT BB replacement suggestions’ is closed to new replies.