Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XT 11 Speed Query
  • endurokid
    Free Member

Hi,

When I’m in the 42 cog and pedal the crank feels really notchy, but this is only noticeable when in the work stand, when I drop down a few gears it’s smooth, is this purely down to the chain line, or am I missing something?

The BB and whole drive train are new and have only had 3 rides.

Anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

edd

What chain are you using?

br
    Free Member

I had this with an expander, but not with my XT 1×11.

B-screw far enough in so the jockey wheel clears the cassette?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Loads, normal for 1x, have you tried pedalling backwards in the 42?

endurokid
    Free Member

Everything is XT M8000.

I thought it might be a ring issue as I’m using a standard narrow wide and not the XT one, I’m using my old XT crank, and I know the XT rings are slightly different.

If I back pedal the chain usually drops to second/third, but I suspect this is normal due to the chain line.

B screw seems ok and the mech is clearing the cassette.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Mines exactly the same with full M8000 inc 1×11 crankset and M8000 chainring

endurokid
    Free Member

I kind of thought it would’ve been ring related, or just a chain line thing, but it’s always good getting other opinions, especially when people experience the same.

Cheers all.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I fettled with limit screw, B screw and cable tension until it went smooth, was really rough to start with 11-42 Xt cassette, XTR 11 speed chain, RaceFace NW 32, 11 spd XTR shifter all new, on new Xt780 triple cranks 104bcd.Bike Orange Alpine 160 26″

sofaboy73
    Free Member

how does it feel when you ride it? if it’s not noticeable or ghost shifting i wouldn’t worry about. often find the gears perform differently under load compared to the stand (sadly, normally the other way round – all sweet in the stand, bag of spanners on the test ride!)

endurokid
    Free Member

It feels fine when riding, no ghost shifting, or shifting issues in general.

It must just be the chainline as its fine is 3, 4 onwards.

Seems quite common so I’ll just go with the flow.

tom200

Probably hanger alignment, nearly always is. Checking it by eye doesn’t count.

I’d be interested if anyone has experience of improving this by using the m8000 chainring. I’ve got m8000 2x coming on my new bike but will be swapping out to 1x.

endurokid
    Free Member

Hanger is fine. I didn’t have this issue with my X0 1X10, and I could pedal backwards in first without the chain dropping.

sillyoldman

If you have chainring/chainstay clearance, just use some chainring spacers to tighten chainline.
    All brands’ 1x chainlines are on the wide side to accommodate the maximum frame/chainring size options. Easy to improve if you have the room.

endurokid
    Free Member

I’m using a 30T ring so this is already spaced in slightly to clear the chainset. I do have a little more room to play with, so I could try a few thin spacers, but as my gear cable is routed through the chainstay if I move the ring too far in it catches the cable, but this is something to ponder.

Cheers.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘XT 11 Speed Query’ is closed to new replies.