• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • XT 11 Speed a worthwhile upgrade from 10 Speed Zee?
  • jakd95
    Free Member

I posted a couple of weeks ago about knackering my Zee shifter and deciding on a replacement. I’m now thinking of just upgrading the whole lot to XT 11 speed and I’m wondering if i’m really going to notice the difference?

Current set up is 11-36 SLX cassette, Zee shifter and mech with a 32t Works Components NW., which I’ve had no problems with and runs nicely For ~£200 I can get the new XT shifter, cassette, chain, mech and a new chainring (I’ve heard of people having issues reusing part worn rings). The XT will obviously give me more range with the 42t cassette but what’s the shifting quality like, is it much better? How are people finding the new XT?

Also, since I’d be getting a new chainring, would it be worth going oval?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you are happy with the current lowest gear then upping to a 34/36 would give you a load more range at the top end.
    Running a used NW on SRAM 11 was no issue at all but not sure on the Shimano requirement/fussiness though that would make me wonder how often I would be replacing chain rings.
    From what you say I’d just stick with 10sp unless you find it lacking. (unless you are looking for positive reinforcement for buying new kit)

Trimix
    Free Member

When you fit new stuff it always shifts better because its new.

Long after its new you will be left with a set of ratios.

So, get the ratios that suit you.

Personally Id go 1×11 and end up with a range that’s slightly wider than your current set up. I spent some time with the gear calculator when I went from 1×10 to 1×11, now I have a much better ride.

Northwind

I just changed to 1×11 because I needed a few bits of drivetrain but the shifting isn’t better than what you have (it’s different feeling, I couldn’t call it better or worse). So it’s just down to whether you want the range. (or narrower ratios)

br
    Free Member

I went from a Zee 10 speed with a 40T expander to XT 11 speed running a 11-42 cassette.

Also went from a Hope 30T to an Oval 32T.

Shifting is far better, mainly due to it been all designed to work together – previously it felt fragile in the expander and would never shift to the 11 cog (no matter what I did with it).

Weighs more, it that bothers you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘XT 11 Speed a worthwhile upgrade from 10 Speed Zee?’ is closed to new replies.