Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • XT 11 speed 11-46
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Available in July I believe. Anyone taking pre-orderes on these yet?

benpinnick

I heard September, although that might be wrong.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Madison’s B2B site is showing a delivery due start of July.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Great, anyone taking orders? I assume the medium cage mech is enough for 1×11

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Any actual weight yet?

7600e
    Free Member

Anyone know if this would work with sram gx?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@7600e

Quick maths but it doesn’t seem to give you a bigger range than 10-42

Onzadog
    Free Member

Similar range, more weight, less money. Ideal for the wife’s bike.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Plus it allows her to keep the current bottom gear without a new crankset to take a 28 tooth.

Northwind

So it’s going to be a fair bit heavier and a bit less range than GX, but about £20 cheaper for the cassette, basically? And no need for the one off hub replacement cost.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@Northwind the xd driver seems lighter too, or cassette gouging and the gx seems tough. Any new wheel bar shimano will have either freehub as a choice. Given how overbuilt the current xt is not on my list.

Northwind

Nor mine but that’s basically the niche they’ve aimed for; people who already have bikes, but who’re engaged in their products enough to consider changing the ratios etc, but not engaged enough to spend a little more. Pretty slim IMO.

andyg1966

I assume we can use XD driver hub and SRAM cassette and get 10-42 but use shimano XT 11 speed rear mech and shifter.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, that’s what I have on my bike XXTR.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Should be perfect with an oval 32t on 104BCD XT cranks.
    Won’t need to buy a whole new crankset 🙂

Goldigger
    Free Member

Does the new 1×11 XT crankset get the new tooth profile (DCE)? Pics only show it on the 2x and 3x crankset..or lower models..

Or is this not a new thing and the current models already has it?

adsh
    Free Member

I’d really like to know why XXTR didn’t work for me. Shit shifting from halfway down the cassette down to the 10. New cable, endless adjusting but getting shifting good one way meant other way rubbish.

rOcKeTdOg

When is SLX 11sp out?

PJM1974
    Free Member

The reply to the message I sent to Madison said that these would be arriving in early July.

No idea about weights or anything yet, but it’s interesting that a few manufacturers are jumping on the bandwagon to offer big sprockets for existing 11 speed XT/XTR owners.

andyl
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the 11-46 XT for my full susser and a friends 29er build. Weight is apparently 450g.

Also waiting for the SLX M7000 11 speed for the 29er. Wish they would hurry up.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’ve just read on a Spanish site weight for the 11-46 cassette is 540grams.
    I hope that’s a type o!

Why won’t Shimano go smaller than 11 on the highest gearing? 10t works for SRAM and I’ve had no issues so far using the 9t cog on my e-13

Gaz6r4
    Free Member

SRAM and e13 both use an XD driver.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep xd driver and I guess shimano really don’t want to make one for their wheels for some reason.

andyl
    Free Member

Why won’t Shimano go smaller than 11 on the highest gearing? 10t works for SRAM and I’ve had no issues so far using the 9t cog on my e-13

Because Shimano like to play it conservative and safe with their engineering. They also have no interest in ditching their established free-hub design and i very much doubt will use Srams design both due to it being a competitors and they probably feel is has “compromises”. The big on probably being they know that 9 or 10 teeth on a sprocket is not good practice. It may work but it’s still not good practice. If they had their way we would all still be on 3x or 2x gearing as ultimately they are more reliable. It is just consumers are pushing for 1x gearing as they prefer the simplicity but the chainline really is nasty.

One solution that could be possible is a floating front ring but it seems someone has a patent in so that will probably kill that idea if granted: http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US20130008282

Look at how many old 8 and 9 speed XTR set ups are still running and still fetching good money used and now look at Sram and it is all due to the quality. They are slow to bring things out and normally very conservative in what jumps they make as they don’t want to screw up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The big on probably being they know that 9 or 10 teeth on a sprocket is not good practice. It may work but it’s still not good practice. If they had their way we would all still be on 3x or 2x gearing as ultimately they are more reliable. It is just consumers are pushing for 1x gearing as they prefer the simplicity but the chainline really is nasty.

Common complaints but in my experience from the people I ride with the 10t isn’t an issue, there may be some technical reasons why it’s not best practice or ideal but it does work well in the real world. Same for chain lines, they are good enough and work fine.

For a lot of us 2x/3x gearing has a lot more compromises.
    One of the biggest problem shimano has is being able to produce a weight competitive 1x cassette. The XT 2×11 is a ridiculous idea offering very little over 10sp but weight and cost.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Can’t see Shimano opting to pay SRAM license fees for the XD freehub design. I’ve read a few worrying reports of design faults with XD, whereby overtightened cassettes can cause the XD to shear, making it impossible to remove the cassette.

IIRC, Hope and someone else have designed a new proprietary freehub system with open patents?

andyl
    Free Member

Common complaints but in my experience from the people I ride with the 10t isn’t an issue, there may be some technical reasons why it’s not best practice or ideal but it does work well in the real world. Same for chain lines, they are good enough and work fine.

For a lot of us 2x/3x gearing has a lot more compromises.
    One of the biggest problem shimano has is being able to produce a weight competitive 1x cassette. The XT 2×11 is a ridiculous idea offering very little over 10sp but weight and cost.

It works yes, not denying that. But Shimano prefer to do things more by the book.

Cassette design is a bit silly (but they are strong and do last) and yes they are heavy but the cheapest I have seen a Sram GX (just under 400g) is £80 with an RRP over £100 compared to an XT at 450g with an RRP of £80 but normally £50ish.

Srams attempt at a shimano freehub 11 speed cassette is the NX and it’s like a boat anchor.

2×11’s focus is longevity through keeping chainlines more optimal and for people who want that little extra at either end and like to spin up climbs and have a lower cadence at speed than you get with a 1x system. It really will last a lot longer due to less chain articulation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Honestly I find conditions have more to do with longevity than some bits of design.

It works yes, not denying that. But Shimano prefer to do things more by the book.

Cool, my book now says it works, which it does, and it delivers.

Is NX their attempt at doing it shimano style or just rolling out the SLX version before shimano do?

What does the 11sp 2x offer you really over 10sp though? Move overlap? More weight? More cost?

PJM1974
    Free Member

What does the 11sp 2x offer you really over 10sp though? Move overlap? More weight? More cost?

In practice, you’ll only use the 2x as a bailout. 11×42 can be a little harsh on the knees for those of us who live in hilly country.

You’ve then got to compare the weight penalty of a front mech, shifter, cables, extra chainring(s) vs simply bolting on a bigger cassette.

I agree that the 11×42 Shimano XT cassette is a bit of a beast, but I can’t fault the shifting quality – using full XT here with XTR chain.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

😉 what’s hilly? 😉

Guess that’s why the extra of the 10t makes such a difference to the range.

GX here, 8 months up and down moab, ski resorts, Tassie, Alpine victoria, Rotorua and a bit more, one tweak for a cable stretch, new chanin last week, like new. And yes it is hilly here very very impressed. Set up cost the same as the XT version all up.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I was born and raised in one of the flatter regions of England. Hills are a new and unwelcome shock. 🙂

jamj1974

When will there be an XTR 11-44 or 11-42 cassette? I would be interested in one of those. Nice hard-wearing, smaller sprockets made from titanium. Yes, please!

Hills are a new and unwelcome shock.

Learn to love the hills – get you fit going up, make you grin coming down 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

or pain/pleasure/pain/pleasure as it’s better known 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

No idea why shimano couldn’t make an 11 speed cassette that isn’t a boat anchor.

MadBillMcMad

will 11-46 require the long mech or will the existing medium mech still cover the range ?

Hope so.

andyl
    Free Member

I’m not sure. I ended up buying the medium GS mechs and I hope they work.

SLX mechs are rated as being 11-46 compatible but there is no slx 11-46 casette. XT cassette are rated as 11-42 but there IS an 11-46 cassette.

i think when it all comes out properly all will be clarified and hopefully store specs updated.

I was wodnering when sunrace would bring out an 11 speed 11-46 and an email just arrived in my inbox.

I have just bought a bloody 11-42T..bugger. But that is going on my 26″ hard tail so will be plenty and it’s a good chunk lighter.

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/cassettes-freewheels-c68/sunrace-mx8-11-speed-cassette-p16353?utm_source=Triton+Cycles+Newsletter&utm_campaign=62ace75dbb-23_05_2016_Sunrace_SE_Bontrager&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a3cea2d23c-62ace75dbb-59136101

£85 for a sunrace! ouch. You can normally buy a whole bike with sunrace gears for that 😉 11-42T was a lot better at £52

andyl
    Free Member

Honestly I find conditions have more to do with longevity than some bits of design.

Cool, my book now says it works, which it does, and it delivers.
    Is NX their attempt at doing it shimano style or just rolling out the SLX version before shimano do?

Yup, conditions play a huge part but will always have more of in impact in a sub optimal system like extreme chain lines and running at the absolute minimum in sprocket size and low chainwrap (eg before offset top jockeys).

I think the NX is to cater more for the OEM market as a lot of cheap hubs wont have an XD driver option so they needed a non-XD cassette.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Just got a reply back from madison on when the 11-46 cassette will be available..

They should be available from the beginning of July and will have a retail price of £84.99, your local dealer will be able to pre order one for you if you contact them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘XT 11 speed 11-46’ is closed to new replies.