• This topic has 42 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • XT 11-46 cassettes – any issues ?
  • iainc

virgin single ringer here 🙂 apart from looking like a dinner plate and wearing out quick, anything else ? will be all xt, with a 32 upfront (coming as standard on a new bike)

orangespyderman

I’ve got one, it works reasonably well. The only thing I have found now that I’ve ridden it a few hundred kms, is that the jump from 37 to 46 really is too big at times. It means sometimes I stay in the granny gear a bit too long before changing back up. A guy I ride with has the Sunrace 11-46 and the ratios look a little more sensible… I think I’ll try one next time.

EDIT : on a 32T oval here. Probably 2T too many for my pie filled legs…

scotroutes

Watch out for back-pedalling in the two larger sprockets as the chain will want to fall down the cassette. Can be a pain if you’re trying to “set” your pedals to clear an obstacle – or even just getting going – uphill.

orangespyderman

Watch out for back-pedalling in the two larger sprockets as the chain will want to fall down the cassette. Can be a pain if you’re trying to “set” your pedals to clear an obstacle – or even just getting going – uphill.

No issues of that kind on mine, maybe need spacing on the chainring?

richmtb

Intrigued by this myself.

My 5 spot is 11 speed XT with 11-42 and a 30T chainring.

Gives a decent low gear for climbing but the top end is pretty pitiful. The 11-46 would let me put an 32 or 34T up front without sacrificing the climbing gear.

In theory with a single chain ring up front and an 11 speed XT mech that I already it have it should just work.

orangespyderman

My 5 spot is 11 speed XT with 11-42 and a 30T chainring.

Gives a decent low gear for climbing but the top end is pretty pitiful. The 11-46 would let me put an 32 or 34T up front without sacrificing the climbing gear.

In theory with a single chain ring up front and an 11 speed XT mech that I already it have it should just work.That’s the thinking that got me to a 32T/11-46, but if I was doing it again from scratch, I’d get the Sunrace 11-46

richmtb

Cheers I’ll take a look at the Sunrace cassette then

Sanny
    Free Member

Ditch it for a double. 😀

Fashion over function. 😆

iainc

no surprise there sanny 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

I don’t get this pitiful top end stuff, with 32t front and 11/42 out back on my 29er I can hit over 50kph on fire roads, where on earth do you ride where you’re faster than that off road.

kayak23

As I always say about these cassettes, the Sunrace is the better one…
    Get the Sunrace.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I find the alloy largest sprocket on the XT cassettes is way too soft. I’ve had to bin an otherwise barely worn cassette after about 1500 miles as the 42t was obliterated.

I’m trying out a Sunrace one now.

Sanny
    Free Member

Sun race are very good indeed. I got well over 3000 miles out of the drive train on my Ice Cream Truck. I changed the granny gear in the summer for a new steel one and didn’t even have to change the chain or cassette. 😀

br
    Free Member

and wearing out quick, [/I]

Not sure that they’re any worse than 9/10 speed XT’s, although chains need to be changed earlier, at 0.5 rather than waiting for 0.75.

Just checked on Strava and my 30t oval plus 11/42 on the FS has done 900 miles and 150k feet, the chain is stretched beyond 1.0 so it’s all been left until it dies. I’ll be replacing it with 32t oval and 11-46 for a bit more top and bottom end.

scotroutes

On the 46T cassette, both the 46T and 37T are soft. At least the 42T version only has one soft sprocket.

iainc

On the 46T cassette, both the 46T and 37T are soft. At least the 42T version only has one soft sprocket.

yeah, wondered about that but not sure my legs would cope. I guess once the first drivetrain is worn out I can swop about, but will stick with what comes with the bike initially

scotroutes

My Marley has 1x with a 42T and a 30T ring and does most of what I want locally. My new FS bike has 1x fitted but has the 2x bits with it. I reckon they’ll be going on right away as I envisage some longer, steeper climbs with it.

woodster

I find the alloy largest sprocket on the XT cassettes is way too soft. I’ve had to bin an otherwise barely worn cassette after about 1500 miles as the 42t was obliterated.

I’m trying out a Sunrace one now.

Yep. Think I’ll swap to an XD freehub and GX instead though for worry free usage of all my gears.

dirtydog
    Free Member

and wearing out quick,

Lot of folks running 10 speed rear mechs beyond their design limits with extra long b screws that reduce chain wrap, hence premature wear.

bikemad
    Free Member

I run the Sunrace cos the ratios are much better the last 3 cogs 36-40-46 not the silly shimano 10 tooth jump I really don’t understand why they went for that ratio ? I find the gearing very good overall 1×11.
    Using mine with a sram GX mech no mods needed works out of the box,I don’t always use the 46 more often 40 is enough but when it’s needed saves walking I’m running 32T up front.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It will be 3000km of mixed terrian on the GX by the end of the week, still going well no obvious wear and the advantage that it’s not heavy enough to have it’s own gravitational pull.
    On the top end aside from pedalling speed is more about technique most of the time it’s anywhere interesting.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Had the XT 11-46 on for about 5 months now with no issues. Does drop the chain on the 46 if you do a full rotation back pedal, but can’t see why you would need to as half a turn is normally enough for most situations. As others have said, the ratios are a bit odd going from 37-46 so I end up staying in the lowest gear for too long often. when it wears out will try the sunrace as 40-46 seems more sensible

mark_rich
    Free Member

I fitted a sunrace 46 with an xt long cage mech on a smuggler and it wouldn’t work, back of the cable pulls arm caught the cassette, after some research I ordered a goatlink 11 which sorted the issue completely and it works a treat now.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Maybe that’s why the shimano cassettes have a big step in the ratios, cos it was around 2/3/4th gears where it touched!

chilled76
    Free Member

They weigh an absolute ton. Mine at least doubled the weight of my whole bike*

*May be a slight exaggeration but you get the idea

mark_rich
    Free Member

The sunrace is slightly heavier than an xt but only about 40 – 50 grams I think, never the less it does feel a heavy lump !

iainc

Thanks all, sounds like I may end up changing it to a sunrace when it wears out, most likely along with the chain and ring. I always ride drivetrains till they are all done and replace everything at same time, as not great believer in the extra life out of regular chain replacement.

lustyd
    Free Member

I have the 46t XT cassette and it definitely doesn’t drop the chain pedalling backwards when properly set up. I’m using XTR everywhere else and have the 36t shimano ring at the front. I don’t even get any noise from this setup in any gear, let alone shifting issues. It’s a bit twangy when shifting to the big cog but to be fair it has to climb up quite a way to get there!

iainc

lustyd – thanks for that, most encouraging post yet 🙂 Mine is coming with full XT, and a 32 front ring. For some reason Giant spec the bike with a KMC chain, which some reviewers say is a little clunky compared to keeping it all Shimano. Probably penny pinching, but a bit odd on a 3.5k bike…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

KMC chain here, and 42T XT, no issues or signs of premature wear.

I wouldn’t use shimano chains again tbh.

iainc

good to know, thanks G

orangespyderman

I use a KMC too. Damn good chains, I reckon.

iainc

picked bike up at lunchtime, jings that’s a big cassette…. !

scotroutes

Yeah, mine arrived yesterday. I reckon I’ll 2x this bad boy and keep the dinner plate cassette for the Ragley.

iainc

what did you get in the end scotroutes ?

scotroutes

Occam AM. I figured I’d need something to keep up with your May gnarfest

iainc

🙂

mb51
    Free Member

Hi. Codeine 650b don’t take 2x, so wanting to get the gearing somewhere near the 28-40 & 11-36 I have on my 456evo11, so had to go with the 11-46 to go with the nw36t blackspire chainring.(shimano don’t make 36t chainrings for 1x) The low end is the same ,but top end is a little down, but close as is possible to get to my 2x,without going over to the dark side and getting 10-50 and paying through the nose,plus I don’t like sram shifters. Can’t say I’ve noticed any problems with the cassette so far , changes gear good, even with massive jump between the lowest gears. Only thing I would say in a perfect, ideal world probably 13 or 14 gears for a 1x would probably be the perfect amount to get a nice close range.

iainc

From a first fettle with it last night it appears to be able to back pedal about one revolution before dropping down, so that’s fine. The shift up to the 46 sounds a bit rough (no lube yet, just factory chain grease) – what’s the deal with B screw settings on this setup ? (I am familiar with B Screw use on narrower ratio mechs and cassettes)

Yak

On these dinnerplate cassettes, I needed a bit more b screw than the usual 6mm or so clearance to facilitate a smooth change into the biggest cog. Just add a bit more until the clattering on the shift goes.

Re chains – kmc are fine. The only thing is that they have slightly bigger rollers that cause issues with chain retention in mud on some narrow wide chainrings eg absolute black. So bear that in mind when you replace later on. Shimano and sram – fine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘XT 11-46 cassettes – any issues ?’ is closed to new replies.