Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • XP Broadband help please
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Our main computer opened up on BT Openzone yesterday morning? We are with BT but on total Broadband so I don't know why this hapened.
    Anyway, I think it's a simple case of moving the connections priority. However at my control panel I have either internet Options or Network Connctions and neither give me the window to move it down the list. In fact there is no reference to BT anywhere on the computer?

My kids laptops and PS3s are working fine.

It also says when I click on the internet tab at the bottom that I am connected to BT openzone and signal strength is excelent. But when I click on view connections it says there are no wireless networks within range!
    Our password and identity given to us by BT don't opeb the BT Zone page.
    Ta?

uplink
    Free Member

It's difficult to figure out what you're saying/asking oldgit

Anyway
    opened up on BT Openzone
    This is just a bit of software & [probably] has nothing to do with the connection, I'd de-install it & run without it – take advice from someone who uses BT first though eh? 🙂

Network connections will only show you the network adaptors etc. & aren't usually associated with what they connect to, unless you're using something like VPN to connect to work etc.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Couple of thoughts:
    1) Someone installed an open zone near you?
    2) BT now do something like mini-open-zones all over as part of the BT hub, it opens a seperate set of connection for open-zone users through your hub (doesn't count them towards your use and you get priority) so maybe your computer has lost track of the original SSID and found your own mini openzone?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

coffeeking
    Either sound likely. There's a help section called something like 'how did I get to this page'
    I simply can't resolve it following their guide on how to. Simply because I don't have the wireless connections screen they show in the guide.
    Probably a very simple matter?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I'm running Vista, but IIRC XP is similar.

Right click on the wireless networks icon in the taskbar.
    Click on "Network and Sharing Center".
    Click on "Manage wireless networks" on the left

You will then see what networks are there and can prioritse them

BigJohn

Double click on the "wireless network connection" icon in the taskbar on the bottom right.
    Click "view wireless networks"
    Click "change order of preferred networks"
    Move or remove until the one you want is at the top.

oldgit
    Free Member

@BigJohn

I do that and it says no wireless networks available?

BigJohn

That's odd. But change the order anyway and put your home one at the top.

Mine sometimes says none available – but that's because i've got it set to "invisible" SSID.

Last week I had all sorts of problems because I reloaded Windows on the other PC at home. I had to "set up a home network" again on both PCs. But I suspect that might not be needed in your case.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just thought. My Daughter got a Blackberry this weekend, anything making you go Ah there?

BigJohn

No

oldgit
    Free Member

Damn

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘XP Broadband help please’ is closed to new replies.