Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • XO1
  • ratherbeintobago

Complete groupset 1070€, or about £930.

I thought they were aiming for ‘XT pricing’?

ska-49
    Free Member

That dosen’t even include brakes.
    XX1 is £750 at merlin.
    I imagine X01 will go down to around £500 soon enough..

(http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/groupsets-mtb/sram-xx1-groupset.html)

iolo
    Free Member

That’s for 11 gears.
    I remember a time when you could get 27 for a lot less

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    The-Beard

I hope it does drop to something more sensible! Really doesn’t seem like value for money at the moment.

avdave2

I know it’s a completely different beast but that makes my 1×14 Rohloff seem better value than ever. In over 7 years I’ve replaced one chain one chainring two sprockets and changed the oil once a year. Even the shifter cables are original and this is on my off road commuter which is ridden all year round. I think I’ll only be upgrading to 1×10 on my other bike unless there are a some more rapid developments and significant cost reductions. Hopefully enough people will be buying this or bikes with it so that happens sooner rather than later. I’m a big fan of the 1x idea and I reckon this would also be perfect for my cx bike as well.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

having hard work sitting on my hands with that merlin deal,

have xx1 on the tallboyC and its a revelation

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Wouldnt it just make more sense to buy the RF chainring and save 710 quid to buy otherstuff.

ratherbeintobago

Bikeradar reporting that SRAM are also doing 104bcd rings, which means you can use your existing cranks.

Still frantic, mind.

brakes
    Free Member

X is for xspensive.

ska-49
    Free Member

Yup, Sram x-4 is a real money pit 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

So predictably the truly eye watering part is the cassette, which is still absurdly expensive, in fact isn’t that basically the same as XX1?

SRAM’s pricing is stupid, always has been, at least Shimano have distinct price points!

Edit: XX1 cassette retails for €381, so a whole €22 more. Now I really want Shimano to come up with a comparator!

br
    Free Member

having hard work sitting on my hands with that merlin deal,

+1

uselesshippy
    Free Member

300 quid on a block…..
    300 quid on something that needs replacing once a year+. Along with the 90 quid chainring….

philwarren11
    Free Member

Crazy money for a cassette and chain. That 42t general lee thing doesnt look as bad now price wise.

chestrockwell

They can charge it because all the mags and media say it’s ace and the future, so people will go out and buy it.

Still can’t see what’s wrong with 3×10 myself. I’d prefer to spend the money on lighter wheels etc.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

got XX1 on one of my bikes and it’s a revelation for me (& it cost me circa £700 buy parts from Ukraine of all place – god bless the internet), but i can’t justify a complete new groupset on my other bike, so i’ve gone for the general lee cassette adapter at a fraction of the cost.

on a new build however, X01 is a no brainer

ChrisI

philwarren11 – Member

Crazy money for a cassette and chain. That 42t general lee thing doesnt look as bad now price wise.

Not so sure you know.

I paid £230 for my XX1 cassette on Bike-Discount. The General Lee is £107 and a PG1070 is what £60? So yes its an extra £60 for one more gear with the spread being both higher and lower than the General Lee can manage. But we don’t know how long the General Lee will last. Reports I’ve read is that the XX1 cassette is lasting way longer than XX and more than general ones like the PG1070, so I would be too sure its bad value for money just yet compared to buying the cheaper 10sp versions and a General Lee. The rest of XX1 (or XO1 once the prices drop after initial release), its pretty reasonably priced compared to 10sp, in a most cases a bit more expensive and some bits cheaper. Admittedly the whole lot could be a bit cheaper but I can see why the cassette takes 3hrs of machining now I have one.

Northwind

njee20 – Member

So predictably the truly eye watering part is the cassette, which is still absurdly expensive, in fact isn’t that basically the same as XX1?

Yup. Get a sensible priced cassette out and it all becomes doable, swallow a single big cost is one thing, commit to ongoing big costs is another.

Gee76
    Free Member

Aye the cassette is a bit of a killer. They tend to last longer (from what I hear of xx – my xx is going quite well so if xx1 is better its good news there at least) and the 1piece machining appears costly. Hard to think it goes in the bin pretty quickly for something so pretty.

Sure Shimano will get there eventually and it’ll all trickle down in future. As always early adoptors pay through the nose, that’s how it goes.

Might have to be a custom 40t rear for me for now. Canfield brothers 9 or 10t driver hubs another option tho!

Which shop robg?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Gee76: it was this chap on ebay, super fast and highly recommended:

memenet on ebay

thought he doesn’t seem to have any XX1 stuff at the mo….

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Interesting that one of the bikes in the vid was running a full (XO) chain device. Given that a large chunk of the marketing has been about not needing any guide at all, that seems a bit of a faux pas…

Very intrigued by it, but will need to see what the real world prices of individual bits come down to – ideally I’d run XX1 shifter, XX0 mech, chain and cassette, then XTR cranks with an aftermarket ring – I don’t think plastic cranks and techy/trialsy gritstone riding will be a great combo!

Gee76
    Free Member

Ta robg will keep an eye out. Looks like me FSA at the mo!

kimbers

butlerjamesp – Member
    Wouldnt it just make more sense to buy the RF chainring and save 710 quid to buy otherstuff

this makes much more sense

although a 10-36 cassette would be nice with the 30t rafeface ring (get a move on Hope!)

philwarren11
    Free Member

ChrisI – Member

philwarren11 – Member

Not so sure you know.

I paid £230 for my XX1 cassette on Bike-Discount. The General Lee is £107 and a PG1070 is what £60? So yes its an extra £60 for one more gear with the spread being both higher and lower than the General Lee can manage. But we don’t know how long the General Lee will last. Reports I’ve read is that the XX1 cassette is lasting way longer than XX and more than general ones like the PG1070, so I would be too sure its bad value for money just yet compared to buying the cheaper 10sp versions and a General Lee. The rest of XX1 (or XO1 once the prices drop after initial release), its pretty reasonably priced compared to 10sp, in a most cases a bit more expensive and some bits cheaper. Admittedly the whole lot could be a bit cheaper but I can see why the cassette takes 3hrs of machining now I have one.

But dont you need to add on the cost of a 10sp chain. Plus if you already have a 1×10 setup, changing to the general lee to get that range is WAY cheaper than a 1×11 setup.

avdave2

Maybe Shimano have a lightweight reliable 11 speed Alfine ready to spring on us. Or is that just wishful thinking.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Very tempted, Shimano will be a while off after SRAM got the patent sorted on the mech. The buying power of my Oz$ is fairly good and mates in the trade help. X0 has always been up near XTR pricing compared to XT which sites better along side X9 really. It will take my 140/160 bike close to silly light 🙂 and have lots of gears.

I know at least 5 with XX1 and seen lots more out there, everyone is happy

ChrisI

philwarren11 – Member

But dont you need to add on the cost of a 10sp chain. Plus if you already have a 1×10 setup, changing to the general lee to get that range is WAY cheaper than a 1×11 setup.
    Fair point. I came from 2×9, so would have had to gone 1×10 + General Lee, so XX1 was very close in price because the 10sp stuff is so close in price to XX1 for everything but the cassette. If you already have 1×10 then its a much more sensible option.

But people need to remember that the £100 for GL will need to be every time you change cassette, its not a one off payment, it will wear out too.

Wozza
    Free Member

I’m on 2-9 and have been looking at changing to 10 or 11 speed depending on how this XO1 went. Even if it drops in price by a 3rd i’ll still go for a 2-10 XTR setup with my current chainset, it’s working out at more than half the price.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘XO1’ is closed to new replies.