Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • XO Grip shift – advice
  • daveb
    Free Member

I am thinking of changing from and XTR rear mech / XT standard shifters to XO rear mech and XO grip shift on my race bike. The Shimano stuff would go onto another bike.

Has anyone made this change? If so did you find that the grip shift system was easier to use, smoother to change gears?

njee20
    Free Member

Smoother is a difficult one, Grip Shift is inherently clunky, but it shifts very positively! I ran it for years on 9 speed, and I've only gone to triggers as they don't do XX Grip Shift.

It's good for racing particularly, you can shift across the entire block in one go, the ability to 'trim' the front mech is also good. Despite what anyone says you won't shift accidentally, it weighs less, and is also very very tolerant of sticky cables. It has a lot going for it!

surfer
    Free Member

I use thes on my On One and I have normal shifters on my other bike.
    I like the grip shifters as they are a bit more sensitive and intuitive pariculalrly if you find that your rear set leaves you slightly between gears, also a bit easier to move your front mech marginally if you are at the extremes of your rear block and your chain is at an angle.

I bought a set for my son originally who couldnt use shifters because his hands are to small.

Its a personal preference thing and I am happy to use both but grip shifters have come a long way in the last few years and I find them quite precise.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I made the change to gripshifts years ago – as per Njee, XO has a really positive, snappy action. I don't know if you'd describe it as smoother but you know when you've shifted (something I personally find hard to feel on triggers) My rear mech has lasted incredibly well – 6 years old and still fast shifting and the shifters themselves don't seem to suffer from age related wear.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Daveb – you dont have a race bike mate.

daveb
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for that. I just wanted some reassurance before splashing the cash.

daveb
    Free Member

Hahahaha – ok, the bike that I enter races on 😆

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

That's better.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

I've gone back to gripshift after SLX (light feel-best Shimano at mo IMO) and XT (needs a full redesign- heavier shift feel).
    Find X0 positive and after the shifters settle in, a better shift than Shimano. Panic downshifts are more instinctive once you're used to twisting too. Using with X.0 rear and XT front mech. Small weight saving.

geoffj

A halfway house to try it out would be to try the SRAM Attack grip shift which works with a Shimano rear mech

http://www.sram.com/en/srammountain/compatibleshifters/attack/twistshifter.php

Obviously it's not going to be the same quality as X0 or XTR, but it would let you try it out relatively cheaply.

dans160
    Free Member

I have some for sale. You can have the pair for £30 posted.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Having used all other shifters from Shimano/SRAM before I'd safely say X0 gripshift are the best..by far.

daveb
    Free Member

I got some od the XO shifters today, just need to decide if I want an Orange or black rear mech.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Doesnt really matter what colour mech you get i'll still whoop your arse at the merida this year again. 😀

nellyp
    Free Member

dans160 – Member
    I have some for sale. You can have the pair for £30 posted.

I'll take them if there still available and in good nick.

dans160
    Free Member

Hi Nellyp

Email me at dan.enticknapREMOVEME@REMOVEMEtiscali.co.uk and I'll send you some info.

Cheers,

Dan

daveb
    Free Member

Obi_Twa(t) – will that be on your "race" bike or are you going to SS it 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘XO Grip shift – advice’ is closed to new replies.