Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Xmas: the post-mortem …
  • nano
    Free Member

Great presents from mrs nano and family (mine and hers) but we tend to front up about what we want beforehand so hard to get wrong..

We ‘do’ boxing day every year and never seem to remember that we will spend too much money on too much food.. No fights or arguments from anyone that came round (we’re always complimented on the spread we put on) but it does seem like a bit of mission for what in effect was 4 hours of gluttony..

First thing mrs n said after we sent the last people off was “can we go away next year?”. Mind you she says that every year 😉

Verdict – score draw

yossarian
    Free Member

It’s the right place. Things don’t last forever. Ever. It’s shit realising it, and a lot of people carry in even though they know, sometimes for decades. Sounds like you know this so it follows that the future will take care of itself, whatever it may be.

yunki
    Free Member

Thanks for the kind words yossarian
    I’m pretty good at looking for the positives in any situation, I struggle at dealing with my emotions though.. I’m letting anti-depressants take care of that til the worst is over..
    It’s a beautiful still, clear night here, the kids are asleep and I have a few beers that the in-laws left behind after Christmas dinner.. I’m almost in danger of feeling at peace

somafunk

Definitely showing as sent to your hotmail address as otherwise it’d bounce back to my mac mail?, give it a few mins to work it’s way through the governments email decryption programs……..I knew i should’ve used my PGP 128bit encryption codes…Damnit!…..they’re onto us yunki….grab your tupperware piece box, thermos flask and run for the **** hills……….grab a lighter and skins..,.that’s all we need!. 😉

yossarian
    Free Member

You are welcome fella

yunki
    Free Member

Lol soma.. I have a spliff stashed away for emergencies.. Not gonna risk it though as it’s hard to function when I’m hiding under the bed in fear of the bogeyman!
    Notification received 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

well that’s a bit shit yunki. Puts my mediocre shit christmas in perspective. Sorry to hear that.

Squidlord
    Free Member

A few tips for those attending a family Christmas held abroad. (Wall of text follows):

1. Christmas traditions abroad are not “stupid”, merely different. Also, my wife may have feelings, so please don’t disparage “them” while she is here. Or, indeed, at all…
    2. All families evolve their own Christmas traditions. Please don’t hang around the kitchen – not helping – and telling your hosts that they are doing it “wrong” according to a Wikipedia page you saw.
    3. Once the big Xmas eve meal is done and your hosts have immediately started getting ready the big English meal for the next day, please don’t hang around the kitchen – not helping – and saying “that’s stupid, I reckon I could cook a whole Christmas dinner in less than an hour”. How? “Just buy cuts of chicken, and boil them the night before – you could heat them up in the microwave”. Thanks, that sounds lovely.
    4. It’s fine to refuse vegetables at Christmas dinner. But I’d prefer it if you didn’t tell the kids that “all vegetables are poisonous”. Incidentally, this doesn’t entitle you to take most of the roast potatoes “because the rest of you are having vegetables”.
    5. My wife is rightly proud of her sauces, which are entirely home-made. But it’s really no problem if you absolutely must have Branston pickle with yours instead. I’m sorry I didn’t know you “only eat ‘small chunk’ Branston”. I did email you – more than once – asking if there are any special requests.
    6. Please don’t throw plastic wrappings into my fireplace. This is forbidden by law where I live. Yes, yes, I’m sure it’s “a stupid law”, but it’s also bad for the flue. Yes, yes, I could get another one, but this one is quite new, and it wasn’t cheap.

You wouldn’t think my brother is over 50 years old!

Oh, and an extra note for grannies: if you think you have stepped in dog poo, please don’t wash your shoe in the kitchen sink. We prepare food and wash our dishes there. Thanks.

My hands smell of Dettol, and my blood pressure is probably off the scale. Off to the inlaws for New Year’s – they’re lovely.

Edit: @ Yunki – missed your posts as I had to break off in the middle of writing that in order to scrub the sink. I was just ranting, but I feel like a cry-baby now. Sending healing vibes and that.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s a shitty time of the year.

You’re thrown together with family who you didn’t choose, ask for or even want. But ‘you have to’. Screw that shit.

If we want to become a civilized society then stopping nonsense like this is the first step.

yunki
    Free Member

And speaking of first steps, I’m gonna call it a night.. Need my beauty sleep and all that.. Thanks fellas for listening to my tale of woe, feels good to have unburdened myself

user-removed
    Free Member

That *is* a bit shit Yunki. Sorry.

My own problems suddenly just look stupid. Stupid enough to put in brackets ( got hammered with FIL and BIL three nights in a row, but they can take it and I can’t – I have scabs on my forehead ).

Hohum
    Free Member

Hmmm, I remember “bad” Christmases when I was in my early 20’s with divorcing parents and all that jazz.

However, this Christmas has been really good: happy children, a happy husband (me) and happy in-laws.

On reflection my really low points have not coincided with this time of year, so I count myself lucky and wish those who are struggling that they may resolve their differences soon.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Insomnia was/is my unwelcome Christmas guest, why can’t being awake all night turn into a productive time as opposed to exaggerating all the negative shot.
    Yunki sorry to hear your news, been there, chin up fella. My kids seem to be coping just fine with it so that’s good.

singletrackmind

Last year skiing with a mate ,which was ace .
    This year my Brother invited himself and Mum down to stay in my small 2bed flat.
    I hate eating late and told them it would be 1.30 ish . Mum like to eat later so did some delaying tactics . Therefore my timings were all shot , my Melba Toast ,cream cheese and salmon startes were soggy, and the Goose was overcooked probably by the 30 mins delay .
    My brother shouted at me at the dinner table ‘ I could have been killed you idiot ‘ because I left half a cocktail stick in a pigs in blanket as I had pinned them so they didnt unroll.

Rubbish pointless presents , plus sheeer glutony and lack of TV prob didnt help

Brother spent hours glued to his smart phone . me and mum got stuck into the Telegraph end of year crossword.

Brother and mum complaining to each other that its cold, Im boiling and in a T shirt . brother constantly walking round grabbing radiators telling me to fit a thermostat ( so he can turn it up to 30 ) . I turn heating off at 9pm as its uncomfortably hot , at 10 they decide I have turned the heating UP as its now warm , fail. its been off for an hour.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Actually pretty good this year- much less of the annoying crap, not so much turning out to visit people or getting ready to have people over (although we did do some of both), some good pressies, didn’t overdo it on either food or booze. On the downside I had flu early December and still not really over it so no rides or outdoor stuff.

I do wonder if the fact that we haven’t watched TV for the last couple of months has helped with not being sick to the back teeth of it before it arrives. Also this year I’m working in town so have been able to avoid annoying shopping trips. Basically much less exposure to the parts of it that really grate.

crankboy
    Free Member

Really sorry to read your posts yunki hope 2014 is better for you . My Xmas was embarrassingly good excellet day with my family bar the brother who never comes but even he made the effort of a phone call a couple of weeks ago ( possibly only because I’d been hit by a car ) . Then a truely relaxing and fun time with my in laws . It’s the first year crankbrat has started to get Xmas and the pleasure he has taken in it has made it for me. Plus I got him scalextric which he has no interest in but every other male in the extended family loved.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yunki. Sorry to hear about your situation, you’ve always come across as a decent sort in your posts – even, dare I say it, one with a sense of humour!

Anyway, you seem to have a good focus on the good things you have and that should see you through. A lot of people are the other way around, they don’t appreciate what they do have!

Plus I think you live on or near Dartmoor – what a place to live!

yunki
    Free Member

thanks guys..
    It’s been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for the last few days, but I’ve spent some time with my mates, sank a couple of pints with good friends, got out on the bike this morning and things are not quite so raw..
    Me and Mrs Yunki are being absolutely awesome about everything and the kids are happy so that’s helping..

I’m not looking forward to the morning reality hit and the inevitable twinges of loneliness, but a good mantra of **** IT! has seen me through in the past and I will be putting to good use again..

I’m not sure what my new neighbours will think of me bellowing **** IT!!! at 7am every morning, but I’m hoping that they’ll be understanding

bearnecessities

Oh rollocks – sorry to hear this Yunki, but then again if it’s for the best…well, you know.

Let the high/low emotional thing just run it’s course and you’ll come out fine 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that yunki, hope that however it goes, it turns out for the best.

My Xmas was quiet, didn’t see family, but still had a nice time.

cinnamon_girl

yunki – that’s really tough for you all. You sound a great dad so you’ll take good care of your boys. Look after yourself and life will get better, small steps. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Is it OK to moan about the cost of Xmas? I’ve taken the hit for 8 of us, we had a last minute guest (friend of my bro’s) and, to be blunt, I expected a financial contribution from my bro’ for the grub that his friend ate. 🙂 Turkey alone cost £46 and virtually nothing left over.

Am I being unreasonable? 🙂

bearnecessities

Am I being unreasonable

Yes! (Although friend bringing bottle would have been the correct etiquette)

cinnamon_girl

Friend did bring a bottle. I bought everyone an Xmas pressie, even friend had a few bottles of beer wrapped up. Do you know what my bro’ bought me? Nowt. 😐

Next year I’m buggering off somewhere alone. 😀

S’OK, I rode my ss today so that involved hurling insults at myself in a very loud voice. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it OK to moan about the cost of Xmas?

Depends on the family situation I suppose.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Xmas: the post-mortem …’ is closed to new replies.