Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Xmas is ruined…It's all fubar…
  • somafunk

…..as the motor in my coffee bean grinder went with a loud pop yesterday afternoon when i was grinding beans to include as xmas presents for a few mates, admittingly it was sort of my fault as i was grinding a KG of beans and i should have let the machine rest between hopper fills, i’ve had 9 years reliable use from it grinding at least a KG of beans per week so i shouldn’t really complain and i’m sure i’ll be able to get a new motor from Kitchenaid once their service centre opens after the New Year…but it’s still annoying as i need my 4-6 espresso’s/cappuccinos a day.

To add insult to injury the steam boiler on my espresso machine stopped reaching optimal temperature a few days ago but i gave my Bro my old Gaggia Baby Class machine a few years ago and since he’s away to Tenerife over the New year period i’ll get that back from him – the Kitchenaid espresso machine uses the same internals as the Gaggia so i may be able to swap the relevant part(s) over to aid a repair.

So i sucked it up and looked at Amazon for a quick fix and i managed to get a replacement cheapy grinder ordered with 24hr delivery but i have to order within the next 7 mins – result!.

It arrived an hour ago so in my depths of shaky-jakey caffeine withdrawal i managed to open the packaging without cutting my own fingers off and i see it has a 2 pin style plug – WTF?….I thought all electrical goods sold in the uk have to come with a 3pin plug? ….I don’t own a 2 pin adapter so on with the waterproofs into a helluva wind and driving rain (sw-scotland – weather warnings are don’t travel unless it is absolutely necessary – does caffeine withdrawal count as necessary?), I was barely maintaining a forward balancing speed but i make it into town, find a two pin adapter and wobble back home happy in the knowledge that i’ve earned my fix.

Plug it all in, read the simple instructions, fill the hopper and hit the switch with the anticipation of a suitable caffeine surge of happy chemicals flooding my brain but wait!…..the machine doesn’t work?……….I must be doing something wrong but there is just a simple on-off button…….try again……nope…fiddle with it some more…still nope.

IT”S NOT **** WORKING….I”VE BEEN SOLD A DUD……XMAS IS NOW FUBAR….. 😈

What else can possibly go wrong………?

welshfarmer

Why not just cut the plug off and stick a UK one on?

tang
    Free Member

Cup of tea?

somafunk

If it doesn’t work with a 2 pin adapter i don’t think it will make any difference with a 3 pin plug fitted

gobuchul
    Free Member

That is a first world problem of the highest order.

Get in the **** sea!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Drac

Cup of tea?

Camomile?

legend
    Free Member

Happy 1st World Christmas!

boxelder

Chew the beans you wimp

pondo

A timely reminder that, amongst the joy and happiness of Christmas, someone somewhere is suffering real pain.

Basil

Mellow Birds
    That’s me back to the 70’s. Is it still available ?

shermer75
    Free Member

gobuchul
    Free Member

Mellow Birds
    That’s me back to the 70’s. Is it still available ?

Yes it is and people love it!!!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Is it still available ?

Yup. Tesco sell it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

This is terrible, I really feel for the op.

I hope you can get your life back on track soon.

Should we have a whip round?

steve-g
    Free Member

Empty your salt and pepper mills, fill with coffee beans, then either attach to a drill, or give to the kids and tell them to have a “grind off” first to 100g wins all the xmas presents??

trademark
    Free Member

OP, I’ll swap your “woes” for my Christmas:- no dinner tomorrow, on my own doing a lap of Kielder.

I’ll take a flask of Nescafe, as usual, so at least I’ve got my caffeine fix sorted.

HTH 🙂

kentishman
    Free Member

Rolling pin and beans in a bag and take out the frustration or take the beans to a local coffee shop and ask nicely.

gobuchul
    Free Member

but i make it into town, find a two pin adapter

You do realise it’s very easy to plug a 2 pin plug into a UK 3 pin socket?

Cougar

That sounds safe.

Get a shaver plug.

somafunk

Thanks for all the kind words and condolences, i feel touched (not in a saville way) and blessed by the STW massive thinking of me in this time of darkness but after a few frantic phone calls earlier on i believe i have tracked down a mazzer super Jolly machine, a mate phoned back to say he’s found an old one in his storeroom that seems to work but it is without a hopper, that’s no great loss as i can feed the beans in by hand, i’ll borrow my parents car and go n’ collect it this afternoon.

Phew……….xmas is not fubar’d anymore….. 😉

mssansserif
    Free Member

Just as an idea some of the 2 pin adaptors have tiny fuses in themes they are designed for shavers. Have a check and see if it popped.

dknwhy

You think you’ve got it bad? I’ve just checked on the “ham” joint that my wife put in the slow cooker with a load of coca cola and realised that she’d bought a pork joint.

RichPenny
    Free Member

You can make a camera lens hood work as a hopper for a super jolly, think you need a 68mm one to fit in the neck. I feel your pain, I spent many hours last year refurbishing a la san marco and it’s just ground it’s last 🙁 I panicked for a while, then just adjusted the grind on the la pavoni I use for brewed 🙂 Still a justifiable moment for an upgrade tho…

Gary_C

Meanwhile in Cumbria, people have been flooded out of their homes…

Drac

Things have just got serious here. I’ve drank all the mulled cider already. 🙁

Rorschach
    Free Member
    totalshell

dd1 thirteen years old sets out with mates to get ONE thing.. cranberries.. returned with cherries..imbecile.. shoud have sent the 4 year old least she has a reason for not reading the labels

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Hario hand grinder and v60. Will never break. Take that 58p grinder to your closest coastal village and throw it in the sea.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can we make this a stickie?

vinnyeh

I don’t mind personally, but I think that young kids read the forums.

EDIT: sorry, just realised there’s an ‘a’ before ‘sticky’.

RobHilton
    Free Member

You get through >1kg of beans a **** week???!!

Even worse here – one of the best ale pubs in Reading has no cask on at all so I’m slumming it on the unduly cold keg beer…

mrsfry
    Free Member

Can’t you get one of your staff to do it by had?

CountZero

totalshell – Member
    dd1 thirteen years old sets out with mates to get ONE thing.. cranberries.. returned with cherries..imbecile.. shoud have sent the 4 year old least she has a reason for not reading the labels

😆
    Pretty sure the little four year old who called for an ambulance after her heavily pregnant mum fell down the stairs and hit her head would have managed alright!
    😀

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

May be it’s a sign, time to give up the addiction.

arrpee
    Free Member

We need a charity single.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have you heard this lot sing?… 😯

cbike
    Free Member

I concur with fuse rating inn the adapter.

somafunk

I concur with fuse rating in the adapter.

That’s what i initially thought so i tested the adapter with my multimeter and it was working fine – I sent the grinder back to Amazon anyway, i trust they’ll refund the extra i paid for 24hr delivery and my return postage.

The Mazzer Jolly i collected earlier is a bit beaten up but it works fine, albeit quite noisy in action but i live on my tod so no one to annoy – i knocked up a hopper out of duct tape and an old water bottle so it’s looks a bit heath robinson but works perfectly well. I stupidly left my phone sitting on the bar at his restaurant though – DOH! 😳 so i’ll have to take a spin back through on Boxing day to pick it up (another 100mile round trip)

You get through >1kg of beans a **** week???!!

Not all by myself, i prob use 80ish grams of beans/day, a double shot is 15g so x that by 4/5/6 and the rest goes on guests and whatnot. BTW i use Limini Espresso blend, very decent tasting and not expensive.

It’s good to read other posts about you’s all having pre xmas crisis meltdowns, nice to see I’m not the only one.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Could be a good time to put my brand new Cunil 2kg in the classifieds……

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Xmas is ruined…It's all fubar…’ is closed to new replies.