Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Xmas Day lego
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I want something to take to the parent’s house as a fun thing to do and I’m thinking about a lego set.

Nothing too expensive, but my Dad is an engineer so it can’t be too simple :mrgreen:. Maybe some technic lego?

zilog6128

This is what you want. http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Tower-Bridge-10214? You can build half each!

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmmm a little more than i was intending to spend.

cdaimers

I would recommend the lego mini. It’s a cracking model and is a little complex in areas.

toffer
    Free Member

+1 for the mini! Hoping for one from Santa myself!

zilog6128

Download the HotUKDeals app and set up an alert for “Lego” (or just keep an eye on the website). Loads of discounts at various online retailers at the moment in the run-up to Christmas.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get one of those wee tiny cheap quad copters, plenty fun!.

onandon
    Free Member

I quite fancy the crane or the batman car.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’m not sure if I like that lego mini. As a massive fan of mini’s and lego it just doesn’t look very good. A bit too square maybe. I’m normally not a fan of lego with model specific parts (not normal rectangular blocks) but I think more would of suited this model.

matt_outandabout

Go the whole hog. The Cool Uncle (every family has them) brought us this a couple of years back:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/b25vqR]Exif_JPEG_PICTURE[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

MoreCashThanDash

This is Single track! It has to be the VW Camper.

Just don’t let it roll off the mantelpiece once you’ve built it 🙄

Drac

Go the whole hog. The Cool Uncle (every family has them) brought us this a couple of years back:

nuke

Having been given it for my 40th, I’ve just finished building up this kit…

😀

spectabilis
    Free Member

Don’t bother looking at the Beetle kit then!

scuttler

Big effoff technic crane for me!

RustySpanner

mikey74 – Member

Because your worth it.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I have the millenium falcon it’s so rad. Would
    Absolutely love the ghostbusters car’ that’s awesome!!!

WillH

I’ve bought myself an original 1980 Lego 8860 Auto Chassis on ebay.

Three-speed transmission, 4 cylinder reciprocating engine, working rear differential, independent rear suspension, rack and pinion steering, and adjustable and reclining seats. Awesome.

Had one for Christmas when I was about 4 or 5, and spent a couple of days building it with my dad 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Has anyone done the architecture series? We used to live in Washington DC so I thought the White House would be a good one, although it looks a little small.

cranberry
    Free Member

WillH – I think I still have that model in my mum’s loft somewhere – I’d love to dig it out at Christmas time and re-build it.

Cougar

I’ve bought myself an original 1980 Lego 8860 Auto Chassis on ebay.

How much for, if you don’t mind me asking? (I still have that upstairs somewhere.)

barkm
    Free Member

I also built a 8860 recently, bought off ebay, built, dismantled, sold again!
    But it sated that nostalgic urge. I had one as a youngster.

We bought a ‘xmas lego’ kit for ourselves last xmas, was the Millennium Falcon (7965), superb kit.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hoping theres a Millenium Falcon under the tree for me this year. I’ve told the wife I’m not speaking to her until July if there isn’t.

WillH

Cougar – Moderator
    How much for, if you don’t mind me asking? (I still have that upstairs somewhere.)

About NZ$90, including postage from Germany to NZ. So about 45 quid all up. 30 quid without the postage. There are few on ebay, prices vary. They often go for double that. For me the nostalgia was worth the cost. I suspect I’ll build it once and be over it, but then I’ll give all the bits to my son so it’s all good 😀

cranberry – Member
    WillH – I think I still have that model in my mum’s loft somewhere – I’d love to dig it out at Christmas time and re-build it.

I’m pretty sure mine is still in my folks’ loft, but they can’t be bothered to go up there searching (it’s insanely full of crap) and my little brother may have nicked it at some point, although he denies it…

Cougar

30 quid without the postage

I R disappoint. I’m not going to retire on the proceeds just yet, then.

kelvin

The Mini is great. We gave it to the boy for his 8th birthday, and it was easily the best present we have ever given him, he loved building it.

scuttler

We have the box and bits (hopefully) for 8860 at my parents. I’ll dig it out and see if I can make it into a complete kit again.

Like the box above it still has the price sticker on it (24 quid from Redgates in Sheffield) and I remember the negotiation I went through to get it for my birthday.

Cougar

Speaking of which,

Next on my list to rebuild is the 853:

moshimonster
    Free Member

Cougar – wow! that brings back some childhood memories. That was my dream lego set as a 10 year old and I finally got it one Christmas. I also had the woefully underpowered electric motor kit to make it drive. It used to shit the gearbox regularly if I recall.

I finished up as a real car designer BTW.

nemesis
    Free Member

So, the Millennium Falcon (7965) – good? I’ve read some negative reviews that say it’s actually not robust enough for kids to play with it and that it’s actually a bit small for the price.

I too had the technic car – recently binned the box actually as it had gone mouldy.

moshimonster
    Free Member

My 5 year old daughter is into the Lego Movie sets at the moment and have to say they are pretty cool and mostly not too expensive e.g.

http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Super-Cycle-Chase-70808

You can find it for around £30 online.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

+1 for a retro set from eBay… I recently bought this and the plane currently sits proudly (i.e. gathering dust) atop a wardrobe. I may break it down and build the shuttle over Christmas.

nemesis
    Free Member

Lego own branded stuff (eg not star wars, Hobbit, etc) is cheaper I’ve noticed – obvious I suppose but I really noticed it in the secret agent stuff when I was looking for Xmas. Of course the kids want the branded stuff…

metcalt

Slightly off topic as it’s not Lego, but it’s still cool. Debenhams have got these in the Christmas gift section at the moment –

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_106010313599_-1

They’ve also got a V-Twin one.

nbt
    andyl
    Free Member

I’ve got the old red lego technic car from the early 90’s somewhere. Should be in it’s box.

zilog6128

Lego own branded stuff (eg not star wars, Hobbit, etc) is cheaper I’ve noticed

ALL Lego sets (big Technic and Creator sets much more rarely admittedly) get discounted these days by the online retailers – you just have to move quickly because people are watching for the discounts and the best ones sell out v fast (probably traders buying stock).

I picked up the Star Wars AT-AT and Snowspeeder last week off Amazon as my Xmas day Lego – RRP £145 but I got both for £95.

Cougar

Cougar – wow! that brings back some childhood memories. That was my dream lego set as a 10 year old and I finally got it one Christmas. I also had the woefully underpowered electric motor kit to make it drive. It used to shit the gearbox regularly if I recall.

From memory, it always used to bug me that the gearbox ratios were the wrong way round. Ie, you shifted down from first to second and the engine sped up in relation to the wheels rather than going slower. I used to switch the cogs round when I built it as a kid, so that it worked correctly and appeased my CDO.

Thinking about it just now, I’m wondering if the gears were actually forward and reverse rather than first and second, and I’ve been wrong all these years. I never had the motor kit, so never noticed whether the engine changed direction or not.

I’m not going to sleep now till I’ve rebuilt the thing to find out.

pictonroad

I spent a blissful christmas day 2 years ago building the camper van, took ALL DAY and I barely spoke to anyone. *wistful sigh*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Xmas Day lego’ is closed to new replies.