• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • XL sleeping bags for bikepacking? recomendations
  • robintait

Looking for recomendations for a sleeping bag to bike pack with. Anyone with any XL riders with experience?

I’m 6″4 and about 16.5 stone for reference! looking for lightweight(i.e. not camping in winter)

festivebonce
    Free Member

I am 6″2 and have a Mountain Equipment Xero (?Sp). It’s super light – the outer fabric is almost transparent. Packs down to a small size also. They do most – if not all – of their range in a longer length unlike most manufacturers. I believe they just launched a new range or bags. Cotswolds can order the longer length bags in store and should be happy to process the usual 10-15% discount if you ask nicely.

rene59
    Free Member

I’m 6’4″ also, IMHO you can’t beat Snugpak for good value synthetic sleeping bags. Well made, good lenght, lightweight and they pack down small. Plenty option to choose from depending on hot/cold you sleep.

ElShalimo

most of the major manufacturers do long versions catering for people up to 6ft6in
    look at Mountain Equipment, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear etc.

MSP

PHD make custom bags, a lot of longer bags don’t seem to also make allowance for broader shoulders etc. especially if you like a little room to move around inside the bag. It is a quite expensive option but well worth it if you need a bigger bag, that will compress small.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/custom.php

damascus
    Free Member

What’s your budget?

Do you want down or synthetic?

Do you have a maximum weight limit?

I think alpkit are a good place to start looking

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve had and got quite a few sleeping bags. Currently have bags/quilt from Snugpack, PHD, Cumulus and Rab with temp ratings from 10C to -30C.

Are you a warm or cold sleeper? What temp range are you expecting to use the bag in?

If you want lightweight then look at PHD (pricey) or Cumulus (sold in the UK as Criterion). Alpkit are fine but use lower fill power down than PHD and Cumulus so the bags are bulkier for a given temp rating, this is reflected in the price. If you are wanting to use the bag into autumn then consider a bag along with either a quilt or overbag to increase the temp rating when you need it. Unless you are continually camping/bivvying in a monsoon then modern treated down will stand up to minor dampness humidity. Synthetic fillings have improved massively in recent years but they still don’t have the lifetime of a quality down bag.

OK, can of worms duly opened!

thwapy
    Free Member

Alpkit do excellent bags and they do long versions for folks up to 205cm tall

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Another vote for snugpak here. Silk sleeping bag liner will add another layer for warmth and weighs very little. Also more hygienic.

fatmax

Can’t remember the exact model but I got a down Vaude bag last year from Trekinn for about £200. I’m 6’5″ and 14st and it’s great. It has an adjustable foot box for when shortarses borrow it 😀
    Very light and compact. Perhaps the Rotstein 300 having just checked?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I use Snugpack chrysalis 2. It’s got an extra zip so you can make the bag wider think from 750 to 900 if memory is correct. I’ve used it down to about minus 2 or so comfortably, ie not cold all. I pair it with a synthetic silk liner which helps give it a few extra degrees, think a proper silk one might be better.

irc

At 6ft3 and 16.5 stone I have two PHD bags in the long wide size which fit perfectly. I like a loose enough fit that I can boost the rating with clothing and/or a micro down jacket.

Expensive but if you wait for the spring or autumn sale you’ll get them for around £220-£250 for the 200g or 300g filled versions.

I have one with the half zip and one no zip version. I find the fit loose enough the weight and hassle of the zip isn’t worthwhile. No zip is better.

robintait

Ha ha ha cheers for the sugestions guy!

i like the sound of the snugpack but will investigate!

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

If you are after lightweight and will only be summer camping then just get a regular one and accept that you won’t be fully covered. It will probably cover your shoulders but not your head.

I am 196cm and have a Cumulus bag. Nice and light and I don’t care that it doesn’t fully cover me.

(I have an extra long 3 season Mountain Equipment bag for when warmth really matters)

benp1

I’m 6’3 and used to be the best part of 16 stone

I find montbell and western mountaineering bags in long fit me fine, room to spare in fact.

EE quilts are also good

At the lower end of the range snugpak stuff should be OK, also have a couple of decathlon bags that work great (but are synthetic, massive and heavy)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘XL sleeping bags for bikepacking? recomendations’ is closed to new replies.