Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • XL 29ers with over 480 reach and sub 67 degree HA
  • lex666

pivot switchblade would be just the job if the budget would allow

davosaurusrex

Seen them. Unfortunately it won’t. Shame, I like a DW link

chakaping
    Free Member

Canyon have removed the old Spectral 29 from their site, so it could be there’s something in the pipeline.

davosaurusrex

Thought the Spectral was just 27.5 now. Hmmm. Might hang on a bit.

thomthumb
    Free Member

its not the lightest bike but its fun to ride

+1

Smuggler climbs really well; i haven’t been out on it too much yet but indications are that it climbs faster than the hardtail it replaced. and possibly my XC bike!

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe it is, but if I was them I’d want a fun 29er in my range.

If only the Jeffsy was about 4cm longer in each size, we wouldn’t need to have this conversation, eh?

davosaurusrex

Indeed. I believe we have had similar conversations more than once. That said I don’t know I would want to have a YT as an only bike given their CS. Although you could also say that of Canyon and others.

davosaurusrex

Of course I could just keep the Stumpy and buy a Radon Swoop for £2.5k in that rather fetching blue and grey….

br
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m unfit and have little skill. No need to rub it in!

Tasks in hand, and order:

1 Get fit
    2 Do some skills training
    3 Then decide whether you need a new bike

davosaurusrex

1 I’m not that unfit
    2 I have some skill but increasingly lacking bottle as I get older
    3 Yes I do. Are you new around here?

STATO
    Free Member

Tasks in hand, and order:

1 Get fit
    3 Then decide whether you need a new bike

Maybe he doesnt want to, maybe some people just get enjoyment out of riding without having to think ‘optimise’ ‘visualise and attack’ ‘position and centre’ every time they turn the bars? Plenty of bike companies make stuff that suits different attitudes to riding, its very clear Mr Porter did NOT consider that when he was designing the geometron to be as fast as it could. The fact it can and people like Chainline have made it work is great, but even their comments suggest it suits a certain style of rider, even if they are not always at full attack.

chakaping
    Free Member

Only bike? I don’t like the sound of that.

😉

Of course I could just keep the Stumpy and buy a Radon Swoop for £2.5k in that rather fetching blue and grey….

Ah, that’s better.

chakaping
    Free Member

1 Get fit

A bike that fits properly is hardly a frivolous upgrade though.

batman11
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure when he mentioned fitness and skills he was being facetious! Only saying

davosaurusrex

Other issue is that the Stumpy has some damage around the headtube*. The epoxy repair I made last year might last another few years or it might explode in a fiery ball of death next time I drop off a kerb.

*Top tip kids – when following your mate off a ramp jump at a bike park make sure it’s a fixed ramp and not a see saw. Ooof y’bastid!

davosaurusrex

I’m not sure whose post you’re referring to bats so I’ll assume you’re insulting me. You can be so hurtful sometimes.

batman11
    Free Member

You welcome

woodster

The new Norco Sight looks pretty good.

Swarf’s prototype 29er doesn’t quite fit the brief, but looks properly gorgeous.

bigjim

the new Norco does look good, but I was surprised at 32lbs for a plastic bike, that’s the same as my smuggler which has a nails hard alu frame of 7.75lbs or something

davosaurusrex

When I read Norco I picture pivot bolts falling out, no parts support 18 months after purchase and Evans not giving a shit

davosaurusrex

Went for the alloy Fuel in the end. Built up it weighs just over 30lbs which I think is ok, pretty robust build kit. When I change to a carbon bar and set the front wheel up tubeless I think it’ll dip under the magic 30.

Gotama
    Free Member

How does it ride Dave?

davosaurusrex

Dunno yet Steve, need to run the brake cable through the frame and set the gears up. Busy tomorrow, hopefully take it out for a set up ride on Sunday (although it is Mother’s Day…) before Wales next weekend.

Have to say I had fairly low expectations from a Trek frame for some reason but it is really nicely built and has some really nice touches. Can’t wait to see what it’s like!

davosaurusrex

Also the HA measures 66.5 in the high setting so should be 66 or slightly under in the low. Nu-skool!

oikeith

This sounds like it fills the bill:

Spotted: New Whyte Bikes S-150 Long Travel 29er

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘XL 29ers with over 480 reach and sub 67 degree HA’ is closed to new replies.