Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • xfusion slant 160
  • sirtomsmith
    Free Member

Thinking of getting some slant forks 160mm they have a 34mm stanction size bikeradar gave them 4 stars but wondered if you guys have a pair and what are they like

I have the Vengeance, which are excellent, but obviously slightly different gravy. The Slant is a good fork by all accounts – however, I’m guessing current feeling would be towards Pikes – but they cost more.

Overall, I don’t think the Slants will disappoint – what flavour are you looking at?

snakebite
    Free Member

I have a set on my Remedy, great forks, would recommend no problem

bungalistic
    Free Member

I have a set reduced to 150mm on my bandit, so far they’ve been great

sirtomsmith
    Free Member

Sounds good guys going to be using them for AM and eenduro racing

Scamper
    Free Member

Got the 130/160 version for my Bfe and really like them, although 130 with plenty of sag is best for that bike especially as they seem to sit quite high in their travel until its really needed. Track the ground very well, little fork dive, and a lot stiffer than my previous Revs. At 130 they can feel a little harsh over fast small rocky stuff with repetitive hits, but at 160 everything is just soaked up. Mine were returned under warranty for new damper, but this was a painless experience.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Really pleased with my Slants, exceeded expectations, mine are the DLA and the travel adjust works well, woud buy X-Fusion again.

widge34
    Free Member

Talking to a guy at Freeborn bikes yesterday. He’s had them on his bike since they were first launched. He loves them and would rather have them than fox or Rockshox. He said he cant believe the cost of the new Pikes as most of the internals are plastic.
    The Slants are out of stock at the moment, will be back in stock in a month.

Kuco

Got the 130/160 version and I have had the rebound cartridge explode in them though I do seem to be unlucky with forks. Freeborn warrantied them without quibble and even sent a courier to pick them up and I had them back within a week.

Other than that they have been great and feel loverly and be more than happy to buy another set.

andymc06
    Free Member

Bought a set from Freeborn for my Nomad. Great service and a very decent fork. Superb value. Seemed stupid to buy second hand Fox and RS given the price of the X-fusion.

phatstanley
    Free Member

i run 160’s on my bfe and have been ragging them up and down the tweed valley.
    love ’em.
    brilliant example of value for money, imho.

winch
    Free Member

bungalistic – did you use a spacer to reduce them to 150, or have you drilled the ‘ladder’ thingy?

I have a set waiting to go on my dialled alpine, cannot friggin wait!

daveh
    Free Member

This is the review that hooked me (650B equivalents). If the Slants really are that close to the Pike, its a no brainer – £400 vs £600!

stevomcd
    Free Member

One of our guides ordered a set. Lasted less than a day. Sent them back for a refund.

widge34
    Free Member

stevomcd – Member
    One of our guides ordered a set. Lasted less than a day. Sent them back for a refund.

POSTED 40 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Happens to all brands of forks. Ride with a mate who has had nothing but trouble with his Fox Fork. Also know a Guy who has had numerous problems with his RS Revs.

ThePinkster

I’ve just ordered a pair of the DLA’s but there aren’t any in the UK until the 2014 stock comes in, which is due end of September apparently.

Fingers crossed I’m not waiting too long.

widge34
    Free Member

Yeah, thats what the chap at Freeborn told me yesterday

Interesting about the plastic internals on the Pike – if the Slant internals are similar to the Vengeance then they are all metal.

nosedive
    Free Member

for similar money i was looking at the marzoch 55 cr. anyone have any experience of those?

daveh
    Free Member

for similar money i was looking at the marzoch 55 cr. anyone have any experience of those?

Very little out there but what I did find was all positive. I think its Marzocchi in a good year business as usual. The only thing to note is you’re looking at 1 pound more in weight than Pikes/Slants.

widge34
    Free Member

The Marzocchi 44 and 55 are supposedly the plushes forks around with there titanium coils, but they do carry a weight penalty, think they are around 2.2/2.3 kg. Most of the ones online for sale at the moment seem to be a straight steerer also.
    There is a guy selling a pair of 2012 160mm 55’s on here for £375 in excellent condition. I was very tempted.

nosedive
    Free Member

seeing as im running a 2.8 kilo set of 180mm vans that would save me a chunk of weight

bullroar
    Free Member

Are these still 203mm rotors only or have the 180mm compatible landed on our shores yet?

winch
    Free Member

203mm only still, guessing the 2014 supposedly coming at the end of the month may be 180mm.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So why would plastic internals be considered as inferior?.

winch
    Free Member

daveh
    Free Member

Perhaps not functionally inferior but machined aluminium parts are more expensive to produce and give a better impression of quality.
    Slants collected and fitted today, all i need to do now is go ride!

widge34
    Free Member

daveh – Member
    Perhaps not functionally inferior but machined aluminium parts are more expensive to produce and give a better impression of quality.
    Slants collected and fitted today, all i need to do now is go ride!

POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Do let us know how you get on with them. Apparently they take a couple of rides, before they are at their best.

daveh
    Free Member

Winter is due tomorrow though according to the media…..

winch
    Free Member

Mountain bikes are quite suitable for use during winter, in fact part of me is quite looking forward to it. Off to the Lakes for 10 days in the pissing rain 🙂

This is still on topic as all being well I’ll get some time in on my Slants.

daveh
    Free Member

Mountain bikes are quite suitable for use during winter

😯

sirtomsmith
    Free Member

what everyone is saying seems good and cant wait get them on my bike I will post a first ride test I think

daveh
    Free Member

First ride today. Thoughts so far: way stiffer than revs, nice solid ‘thunk’ when you plant the wheel back down, very controlled on bigger hits, much more progressive than revs so uses all the available travel but also has a lot of support in the mid stroke, resist brake dive and bobbing really well. Negatives? The stiffness means on bad line choices sometimes you end up being deflected off line and as yet the small bump performance isn’t as good as revs. I seem to remember the revs needing time to bed in so I think this will improve given more riding time. And for the weight weenies, they’re slightly under the stated weight on my scales, 75g or so heavier than 2012 dual air rev rls and 150g heavier than 2014 solo air rev rct3s.

ThePinkster

Has anyone heard anything about when the 2014 delivery is going to arrive? I’ve got a pair on order (as commented above) and was told end of September but heard nothing yet.

I’ve checked the Upgrade website and it just shows them as being on back order…. 🙁

ThePinkster

Woohoo!! They’ve just arrived and are sitting on my desk. Will hopefully get them fitted before the weekends ride.
    😀 😀 😀

bigjim

as yet the small bump performance isn’t as good as revs

any update on this?

I think with x-fusions the way to get the small bump compliance is to drop air pressure slightly and add in a bit of high and low speed compression damping

Jrrr
    Free Member

Except there is no high or low speed compression setting to adjust on the Slant fork, only rebound, travel adjust (DLA) and lockout.

I have just got set (brand new) only 2 days ago, fitted them but i’m not sure if they are quite right…

when you push down on the bars there is a slight bit of play/dead travel at the very top of the stroke. Once you are passed this its just fine. Although it doesn’t feel too nice IMO.

Also when i adjust them down to 130mm (via DLA) there is the same dead travel for a couple of mm, followed by a very slight clunk, where you can feel something inside touching. Not a loud noise, just a slight knock, but the forks work just as they should.

I’ve called Freeborn about this and they think its due to a floating piston???

I think i’m going to give them a ride tonight and see how they feel.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their new Slant??

bigjim

my revs have a mm of loose movement but I’ve never been bothered by it

sprocker
    Free Member

I found mine felt a lot better when I dropped 15psi below recommended. A lot more supple and still don’t blow through the travel

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘xfusion slant 160’ is closed to new replies.