Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Xenon Car headlight upgrades
  • the-muffin-man

Are they worthwhile?

Had a horrendous drive back from Scarborough to Howden on Sunday and was really struggling to see at times in the dark and rain. Would Xenon bulbs give better depth of light on a dipped beam or is it just marketing?

And yes my eyesight is good – its the only bit of me that works properly!!

MrNutt
    Free Member

I hate them, they blind oncoming traffic, the additional visibility will only help you see the poor sod you've dazzled who is now veering wildly in your direction! its an automotive pissing contest which will only leave all the participants blind or mangled. just go for some blue LED screen washers if you feel the "need to upgrade" your car illumination 😀

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

They are very good and much better, however considering how much they cost it's very debateable whether they're value for money or not. That was a long sentence!
    Get some phillips extreme bulbs, can't remember the proper name. They're absolutely awesome and only about 30 something quid a pair. Not far off proper hid's actually.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

I had them on an Omega a few years ago, these were standard fit, and they were fantastic. Dip beam is improved, and high beam is unreal – especially for fast countryside driving. Again not sure if I'd have paid the premium at new, but they are something I want on a s/h car.

Also try cleaning your lights before you set out?

philjunior
    Free Member

They're very bright etc.

However….

If you fit them your car must have automatic headlight levelling (from sensors on the axles) and (working) headlight washers to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic, or it's not legal. Therefore to do it legally is probably somewhat expensive (though if it's a more modern car you may find that everything needed is fitted and just needs turning on electronically).

If you make sure everything (headlights, windscreen inside and out) is nice and clean and your wipers are in in good condition it makes a huge difference and is much cheaper!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Xenon Car headlight upgrades’ is closed to new replies.