Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • XC/AM Wheelset for Under £1k
  • ryanw
    Free Member

Evening all,

I’m looking into purchasing some strong but lightweight wheels for my Yeti ASR-5C build.

So far I’ve ‘narrowed it down’ to the below:

Fulcrum Red Metal Zero XRP – £720, 1470g

DT Swiss XM 1550 Tricon – £810, 1586g

Mavic Wheels Crossmax SLR – £765, 1440g

So, what are your opinions of the above wheels (what would you choose) and are there any others you’d throw into the mix?

Cheers all,

Ryan

GlennG
    Free Member

Got some Easton havens, seem quite light, not sure what the weight is, there is also a carbon version for silly money

GlennG
    Free Member

Ooops, double post

chojin
    Free Member

My ASR5 is wearing a pair of crests on pro IIs which I think are hard to beat for the price, ok they’re not very bling but you can buy decals if that’s your thing 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

set of Enve AM rims on Hadleys been on eBay for a couple of weeks, just above a grand with no bids

takisawa2

People really spend this much on a pair of wheels… 😯

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Deores on Mavic XM321s

Del

People really spend this much on a pair of wheels…

+1
    i’m contemplating a complete road build for about 800…. 😯

ryanw
    Free Member

I’ve seen the alloy Easton Havens for £615, and they come in at 1650g. Not bad at all…

cookeaa

Seeing as your dripping with cash why not just plump for CKs on Crests?

This sort of thing

vdubber67
    Free Member

American Classics on Crests. Cheaper and lighter than all your original options.

TheFlyingOx

Or you could have my Pronghorn wheels for £200. 1470g, strong enough to be still running true after done heavy XC use with 14.5 stone me on top, Sapim CXRay spokes, only done about 300 miles in total. 9mm QR though. That’s why I’m getting rid.

scottw
    Free Member

XM719’s on kings, good spokes and some brass nips! Built by wheelcraft…

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Slr’s are very stiff and unforgiving but spin very nicely. Not tried the others though but have recently bought some crossmax st’s. Not quite as bling or ultimately light but feel equally as stiff. And £350 cheaper.

ojom
    Free Member

Top Tip – don’t spend that much. Get some Pro2 on Crest or Flow.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve not felt any factory hubs that felt as good as i9. Those on some flows or crests would be pimpier than crossmax imo.

Northwind

Crossmax SLR is designed and sold as an XC rim, ST is more on the lines of what you’re describing…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

People really spend this much on a pair of wheels…

very common with road wheels, lots of gucci mtb wheels now available,

skywalker
    Free Member

There is no need to spend that much, Pro 2 on Crest/Flows.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

no need maybe,

but he wants to

theres no point to 99% of what we buy, deore is fine and works, doesnt stop people wanting xtr etc

skywalker
    Free Member

Not really the same though is it.

Deore is way behind XTR in terms of weight and quality, Hope hoops are possibly better than Easton Havens from what I have read about them, but half the price.

snowpaul
    Free Member

thats a lot of cash for some hoops…

Northwind

You could very nearly get 3 sets of the higher end Traversees for that much. Not quite as stiff or as light as the Tricons though

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Deore is way behind XTR in terms of weight and quality

in the real world can you actually tell when your riding along?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I’ve not felt any factory hubs that felt as good as i9. Those on some flows or crests would be pimpier than crossmax imo.

This.

I did a build for a guy with some industry 9 crest 29er wheels. They were absolutely bloody gorgeous. They were about 800ish, not sure exactly.

skywalker
    Free Member

in the real world can you actually tell when your riding along?

Errr, yeah.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The more dosh you spend = the better rider you become!

Untrue, I spent 3.3K & i’m still crap, although I have climbed stuff ‘ve never climbed before, & am loads faster DH.
    Crests on Pro 2’s BTW.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Errr, yeah.

explain

brooess
    Free Member

Hope Pro II on Mavic 521 will cost you less than £300. Strong and light.
    Personally I wouldn’t spank too much on pair of wheels – rims tend to take a battering from stones and other trail stuff and I’d only be upset that such expensive kit had got dings everywhere…

Northwind

Pro 2 on 521 is strong but certainly not light, unless your benchmark is downhill wheels… Hope claim 2kg for their 32-spoke builds with sapim db spokes.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ive got Edge on Tune rims, can i tell the difference between them and i guess crest on pro2? probably not

ive got a di2 mech shifting across a SRAM XX block, can i tell the difference between that and a XT, X7 set? probably not

he asked for recommendations on wheelsets around £1k, maybe he wants something different – everyone is recommending a 300 quid wheelset, even a 199 quid superstar wheelset will be good enough, its about how much the guy wants to spend

skywalker
    Free Member

I think you will find people are trying save him from making the same mistake you did and spending a load of cash on some wheels, when as mentioned by numerous people aside from me, you can’t beat Hope Hoops.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

+1 for the hoops got some pro2 sp on 717’s for the posh bike and pro2 on 317 for the ss.

They just work!

evilclosetmonkey
    Free Member

If you wanna spend that much Industry nine look sweet, can’t say what they ride like as i woudn’t spend that much doe on wheels but they do look good.

You could look at getting 2 sets of wheels for that money that look different, white/black etc so you can change your bike up a little.

james
    Free Member

“Hope Pro II on Mavic 521 will cost you less than £300. Strong and light”
    Well, the rims aren’t light. Granted less heavy than 321’s but ..

“you can’t beat Hope Hoops”
    So long as you are happy with the loud, slowish pickup speed of Pro II hubs of course
    And unless you want the more middleground Stans Arch/ArchEX rim (rather than the XCy crest, or the DHy flow)

Similarish to the original 3, how do Easton EA90’s/similar stack up?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

The Fulcrums are pap and the Mavics though nice are a nightmare to get spares if needed… I had a pair of Crossmax SXs (different i know) which constantly went out of true and even had to have a rim replaced as it split (not warranty). Less than a year with them and I went onto DT EX1750s and they are still kicking ass four years later… Flawless! I may some day transplant some Enve AM rims onto them for a little weight saving, but it’s far down my list of priorities. My other two bikes have since been fitted with DT wheels…

njee20
    Free Member

Wow, the preachers are out in force! He didn’t ask if he should spend that much, he asked for recommendations!

I’d get DT240s on Arch Ex with a spoke of your choice. Or possibly I9s.

ask1974
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the new SLRs but I have Crossmax ST wheels on my Five and I’m very happy with them, the bike gathers speed at such a callosal rate it’s incredible and the ride is very sure. One of my mates has an ASR5 with Crosstrails and that feels lovely too. I like the look of them as well.

takisawa2

Wasnt saying he shouldnt spend that much, if he can afford it then good on the lad.
    Just seems an awful lot of money, but as someone said, compared to some road bike kit I guess its not.

messiah
    Free Member

I’d like to try these Goldtec hubs

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=300&Name=Goldtec+Pro+Competition+Rear+Hub

I don’t like funcy factory special wheelsets as I break stuff. I destroyed a Flow rim on a two week old Hoop wheelset with a stupid mistake… was easy for me to fix as it was simply a rim swap. Had I been using Crossmax or some other exotic wheelset I would have had to send it away for god knows how long. Spend on a good hub, Hope are OK but not great due to internal friction… I always clean out the grease in the freehub and replace with oil so the freewheel spins better and doesn’t make the chain slack and prone to jamming between chainstay and tyre. I’d like to try Goldtec but currently I have two pairs of Hope so I can swap them about – one with big tyres for crazy stuff and one with a more xc bent – works for me, ymmv etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘XC/AM Wheelset for Under £1k’ is closed to new replies.