Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • XC60's are good but…
  • Kryton57

Well, we are testing driving an XC60 on Sunday after using carwow offers to get to £7k off so far via PCP.

However, the new one was launched yesterday. Not sure then whether we are potentially buying a solid, proven car or an older, devalued model.

Thought – buy the cheaper one which is the financially logical thing to do, or await pricing for the new model?

weeksy

What realistically would the new car give you for the money ?

Can’t you buy an older XC60 for £7000 anyway lol

P-Jay
    Free Member

Buying the ‘old’ model for a big discount is one of the better ways not to spend too much on a new, new car – forget all the devalued old one / proven thing. Both will be exceptionally well made and reliable and if something goes wrong it’ll be covered by the warranty.

The real question is money in your pocket v the glamour of having the latest model.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Don’t buy it then.
    Are you like this in your job?

weeksy

The real question is money in your pocket v the glamour of having the latest model.

There comes a time in life when we come to realise, “people don’t actually care”… We may think they care, we may want them to care, but in reality, they don’t.

So you only have to ask yourself, the one question. “is the new one actually giving me any benefit at all”

Kryton57

Buying the ‘old’ model for a big discount is one of the better ways not to spend too much on a new, new car – forget all the devalued old one / proven thing. Both will be exceptionally well made and reliable and if something goes wrong it’ll be covered by the warranty.

Yes good point. And it does come fully loaded, plus I discovered gettinga £45 memebership from RYA gets you an additonal 15% off the prices.

We’re down to this vs a BMW X1. I’ve a feeling the shiny X1 will get Mrs K’s thumbs up, but the XC60 will be the more sensible purchase.

tthew

The outgoing model will have had all the bugs, recall issues and incremental improvements sorted out by millions of real world testing miles by owners of older ones. Not the case for a brand new model. What else could you do with that £7k?

edit – pay a chunk off the mortgage it seems. 😆

jam-bo

Im feeling old, not unhappy yet a little tired and the realisation of becoming 50 soon yet only half way through my working life, with another 17 years of mortgage payments.

Sigh.

don’t buy a new car and pay the mortgage off a little sooner?

scotroutes

don’t buy a new car and pay the mortgage off a little sooner?[/quote]Quite.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My riding buddy has an XC60, less than 2 years old. Has packed up at least 4 times, maybe more. EGR valve goes, car goes into limp mode, needs a hell of a lot of stripping out to replace the Valve.

He may just have been unlucky, just saying.

RustyNissanPrairie

Personally – I buy cars to keep as long as possible and don’t give a shit about keeping up with the Jones, in this case I’d have the older Gothenburg built XC60. if it’s anywhere near as well built as our aged V70 then you’ll own it for decades.
    If you are only interested in keeping up with the Jones then go for the Geely owned new shape (i’m not sure how much ‘old Volvo’ there is in ‘new Chinese owned Volvo’).

P-Jay
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

Yes good point. And it does come fully loaded, plus I discovered gettinga £45 memebership from RYA gets you an additonal 15% off the prices.

We’re down to this vs a BMW X1. I’ve a feeling the shiny X1 will get Mrs K’s thumbs up, but the XC60 will be the more sensible purchase.

I can’t stand X Series BWMs so the X1 being the ugly step-child of the range wouldn’t be my first choice, it would be somewhere between an 300k mile ex-mini cab and a Rusty Lada.

philjunior
    Free Member

I guess it depends, is there anything significantly different or is the old model just “not the new model” – are any of the engines only available on the new model, is the display thingy etc. much better in the new one?

It’d still have to be a hell of a difference to justify £7k. One thing though is, is that £7k off a fully loaded one, and do you actually want all the options? A friend spent £10k extra on the same car, with some options that would probably be worthwhile, but about £6k worth of chrome door handles/body coloured bumpers/slightly better stereo etc (standard stereos these days are fairly decent, so I didn’t see the point).

Kryton57

scotroutes – Member

Kryton57 » As I’ve clarified in other threads, I’m no longer yearning for material items

In your last post directed at me, you quoted words to the effect of “no offence”.

But you insist in bringing up critical/inflammatory content with regard to me, my content of my posting history. Make up your mind, be pleasant or please refrain from the winding up process.

The “new” car is to replace an old 2008 Ford Kuga and is a long term / 10 year purchase, not a fanciful “I want”. That the last time I’m explaining anything to you, on the basis you can’t help be inflammatory rather than helpful.

Kryton57

It’d still have to be a hell of a difference to justify £7k. One thing though is, is that £7k off a fully loaded one, and do you actually want all the options?

To be fair its the lowest spec (D4 SE Nav) it just happens to come with a lot of bling things.

And its not just £7k – with the RYA discount we are now talking £11.2. Having done those maths I’m strugging to see past it. A £31k car for £20k via PCP at 6% seems perfect for our circumstance.

scotroutes

An wise man once said…

“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as others see us!
    It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
    An’ foolish notion.”

I was merely hoping that, in offering to act as a mirror for you, you might recognise those things in yourself that you’ve (apparently) sought to change.

DezB
    Free Member

A £31k car for £20k is not a fanciful “I want”??

In whose world?

I didn’t see anyone being inflammatory.

jam-bo

The “new” car is to replace an old 2008 Ford Kuga and is a long term / 10 year purchase, not a fanciful “I want”. That the last time I’m explaining anything to you, on the basis you can’t help be inflammatory rather than helpful.

if you want to get off the treadmill, you have to get off the treadmill…

5lab

fwiw, the new car will probably not have the smaller/cheaper engines/trim levels available for a while – so it’ll probably be at least a 35k car for a while.

I’d be dubious that you’ll be able to stack those discounts – broadspeed/carwow already eliminate every ounce of profit from the dealer, no-one will be giving you an extra 4k off

Kryton57

I was merely hoping that, in offering to act as a mirror for you, you might recognise those things in yourself that you’ve (apparently) sought to change.

This isn’t a purchase for purchase or “keep up with the Jones” sake, I need to reliably and safely transport my family around and since my wifes left leg – after a year of treatment – is causing her problems now probably needing surgery she needs to move to an auto.

The Kuga’s in need of TLC and is a manual, it’ll be up here soon as a cheapish bike carrying option.

And lets not forget DezB – I said PCP. Over the three years we’ll own it I’ll be paying approx £7.5k for it incl.deposit. That £7.5k will be offset by the sale of the Kuga, currently worth roughly the same.

Kryton57

if you want to get off the treadmill, you have to get off the treadmill…

Quite, with the exception of a few this turned into a “lets have a pop at Kryton thread”. I’m therefore, out.

DezB
    Free Member

Fair enough – but you must’ve known the thread would go that way.. 😉

flange
    Free Member

FWIW, the new XC90 is roughly a billion times better than the older model. If the new XC60 follows the same lines, I’d be more inclined to hang out for the new one. There tends to be decent lease deals on new models too so that could be worth a punt.

If its a PCP deal then the end valuation is surely irrelevant unless you plan to buy the car off them? However, if you can get a new one on a PCP, surely the new one will depreciate less thus reducing your monthly payments?

The massively sensible side of me says stick with what you’ve got (10%)
    The sensible side of me says get the older one (20%)
    The immature side of me (70%) says get the new one

Get the new one

stumpy01

Before you go – have you looked at any deals on the ‘old’ XC60 through a dealer, rather than carwow….

My bro-in-law decided he’d had enough of his piece of crap 320i touring after non-stop engine issues & went to have a poke around a Volvo dealer.
    He got £14k off the list price for a delivery mileage V60 Allroad from the dealer.

thomthumb
    Free Member

There comes a time in life when we come to realise, “people don’t actually care”… We may think they care, we may want them to care, but in reality, they don’t.

I’m not so sure. Some people care.

You need to decide wheter you care.

The “new” car is to replace an old 2008 Ford Kuga and is a long term / 10 year purchase, not a fanciful “I want”.

your 2008 car is fine. it will probably run for another 10 years.

somouk
    Free Member

Before you go – have you looked at any deals on the ‘old’ XC60 through a dealer, rather than carwow….

Carwow just links you with dealers.

If money is available and you can afford the PCP I would hold for the new one. If not then get the old one at discount. As you’re on PCP it won’t make much of a difference I would have thought to monthly outgoings but the new one will probably be more economical and cheaper to tax.

flange
    Free Member

Being honest with you, there are MANY cars I’d rather buy for £20k than a brand new X1 or XC60. You can do PCP on older cars, therefore is it worth considering something second hand with maybe 20-30k on it?

Plenty of auto’s about from Merc or BMW that would be ideal for carrying the family about.

What’s making you want an SUV?

hairylegs
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

An wise man once said…

“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as others see us!
    It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
    An’ foolish notion.”

Good to see you proudly supporting your cultural heritage!! Robert Burns “”To A Louse, On Seeing One on a Lady’s Bonnet at Church” I believe.

Sound advice

DezB
    Free Member

Could you translate?

molgrips
    Free Member

Over the three years we’ll own it I’ll be paying approx £7.5k for it incl.deposit. That £7.5k will be offset by the sale of the Kuga, currently worth roughly the same

Just quering the maths here – at a point three years in the future you’d own nothing, whereas if you keep the Kuga you’ll still have a car. Changing the car is NEVER the cheaper option.

However if you need an auto, then fair enough. But upgrading to a newer shinier auto, that’s going to cost you more, however you organise it.

hairylegs
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Could you translate?

Something along the lines of

Oh, that God would give us the very smallest of gifts
    To be able to see ourselves as others see us
    It would save us from many mistakes and foolish thoughts
    We would change the way we look and gesture
    and to how and what we apply our time and attention.

DezB
    Free Member

Cool. thanks 🙂

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The new XC60 is absolutely stunning, (there’s one next to me at the moment 8), it’s bigger, especially in the rear seats, and the infotainment is brand new and straight out of the current 90 platform.

However the current, now classic XC60 should be available with a ton of options thrown in so it represents considerably better value for money.

stumpy01

somouk – Member

Carwow just links you with dealers.

Yeah, I know how carwow works broadly speaking. But doesn’t it just send the dealer the details of a new car that you spec & then they come back with a price for that car?

Does it also work for stuff that they might already hold in stock, that might be just the ticket but you might have not considered? Or maybe matches your spec, apart from colour etc…..?
    e.g. if Kryton sends through a request from carwow for an XC60 in pimp white with 22″ black rims, full leather and sat nav, would they message back and say ‘we can get you that, or we’ve got the same thing in current stock but it’s only rolling on 18″ wheels and had £12k off list”

Maybe it does, but I thought it was just for getting a brand new car from the dealer….?

Rockape63
    Free Member

If the new XC60 follows the same lines, I’d be more inclined to hang out for the new one.

Using that thought process, why not wait for the one after that? Seriously, all of the quality brands selling SUV’s like the XC60 make excellent cars. My Missus has the R design XC60 and she loves it, probably no more than she’d love a Q5 or X1 etc. She’s made do with second hand manuals in the past, but if you can afford to buy your wife a nice new car to drive the family around in….why not?

nevisthecat
    Free Member

I would look at an approved used model. Someone else takes the hit on the depreciation, and you can get a low miler, with dealer back up and probably all the toys.

There are independent finance brokers, not Oracle, but sensible ones who will find you a decent finance deal from lenders like Santander, Lloyds etc, liaise with the dealer and get you your PCP at 6% or less, with a sensible balloon payment.

I opted out of the company car scheme and bought a really nice used Audi*, and got my finance from these guys:

http://www.capitalcarfinance.co.uk/.

Since the car is a tool of the job, and I will replace it like every 4 years, I don’t need to “own it”. I put in a small deposit, and then the car allowance covers the finance and much of the running.

*I don’t own a Bronson

allthegear
    Free Member

You’re not sure whether to buy the car because there’s a new model? Don’t ever try to buy anything Apple – it mess with your mind…

Rachel

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have you seen the new car ? Personally I would not want to buy end of range model new less £7k, the new one is a beauty. I assume RYA membership gives less than 15% off, is that a typo ?

[video]http://youtu.be/Tf0NjVJsSUA[/video]

@nevis I don’t see cars that way nor my mountain bikes. Its nice to have something you love.

Mister-P
    Free Member

ElShalimo

I can’t believe that people put a fancy car before paying for their house!

Just buy a nearly new Mondeo in your preferred spec – it’s all the car you will ever need and put the money you saved towards the mortgage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘XC60's are good but…’ is closed to new replies.