Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • XC training.
  • aviemoron
    Free Member

Ok, bare with me on this; many years away from racing, but have decided to dip my toe back in again, just finished my 1000 miles base training (that's my old roadie background for ya) but what should I be doing now? Would like to be "competitive" for a local xc race in Aug' (vets) any advice?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Plenty good books, Joe Friel for one, too much to say to put in one post!

EDIT don't mean to be unhelpful, it's just that if you are taking it serioiusly then you should get a book and construct a schedule for you rather than rely on internet advice.

bigdawg
    Free Member

doesnt matter how much or what training you do the race will be a shock to the system – start racing now, and dont think the vets race is slow poodle, theyre normally faster than most of the sport category in my local races…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Agreed a book is by far the best bet to get solid advice.

However interval training is crucial as change of pace and knowing how hard and long you can push yourself without blowing up is extremely useful in all endurance sports.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Start upping the intensity.

Do some shorter harder rides building up towards the duration of the race itself (2hrs?)

Do some hills climb reps – like 2min up going very hard, then 2min rest, and then repeat 6-10 times. Try doing some other intervals as well.

Don't over do it. remember to rest, don't train if your body says no.

Joe Friels book is good, as is his blog.

njee20
    Free Member

Hill reps, and lots of them. I personally prefer 3 mins up, 1 min down, repeat three times, find another hill and do it again!

Intersperse with some longer intervals on the flat, I'm doing 4×6 minutes at 330W with 2 minute recovery on the ride home from work. Seems to be working, or at least I've got good at learning how to get high power readings!

MikeWW
    Free Member

Good luck. Not much difference between Sports and Vets-my time tend to put me in almost identical positions.
    Interval work very important and prepare for a world of pain!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘XC training.’ is closed to new replies.