Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XC trails north-ish of London
  • mcboo
    Free Member

My eldest (9yrs) is getting into mtb now, took him to Chicksands at the weekend. Had a great time though it’s clearly aimed more at freeride types…..we found some decent XC trails outside the bike park, good time.

Where else can I take him……Woburn and Aston Hill worth a visit? Flowy not too technical singletrack is what we need at the moment.

soobalias
    Free Member

Flowy and not too technical, Swinley or the Chilterns with an OS.
    Aston is pretty full on
    Dont know enough about Woburn, only been there once

br
    Free Member

tbh Chicksands has more kiddie friendly stuff than Aston, and Aston is not really a place if at all damp.

Swinley may be the next place to take him, or Epping (but handy to go with someone who knows it). There is loads in the Chilterns, once he’s got some stamina.

mcboo
    Free Member

Yes Epping my localish trails but only drying now. Swinley might be the best bet, I did the last Gorrick so have some of the routes logged. And no cars there once you are in the woods. Can’t say that about Epping.

Kryton57

Another for Epping. There is also routes around Danbury but you’ll need a local guide.

Epping should be fast swooping dry singletrack at this time of year, but excess rain has caused the inevitable problem.

McBoo – I was up there a week and a half ago and it was pretty sloppy – are the trails firming up now?

brick
    Free Member

We’ve been heading down to Bedgebury. We are 20 mins from Epping but its been a proper sh1t fest recently, so have give it a swerve. Nice and dry at Bedgebury with good facilities post ride. Parking is £££ though, so we joined for a year.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Aston Hill will probably be a bit much for a 9yr old. Ashridge might be a better bet – lots of nice singletrack (but it’s very muddy at the moment).

mcboo
    Free Member

Epping hasnt had a vintage summer. Was OK last Sunday but under the trees are still a lot of thick mud patches, especially where the horses have been.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Woburn would be great (I take my 9yr old daughter) but hard to do if you don’t know your way around. You also need a day permit if you are a law abiding type (I have annual pass). A web trawl should provide lots of gpx for routes there if you can use that technology…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XC trails north-ish of London’ is closed to new replies.